Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

POWDER DAY!!!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports
Site Administrator

Re: POWDER DAY!!!

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 am

Ah yes, sloppy seconds today...
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby fleetmack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 am

Yesterday I took my annual, "My friends talked me into not hating Vail and said I'd have fun if I went with them, so I'll give it a 23rd try at not detesting it" day. Each time I go there, I leave hating it a little bit more. Despite the excellent snow and conditions in China Bowl and BSB, yesterday was awful. Can't believe I wasted a powder day on Vail instead of BC or Keystone. Catwalks, ridiculously long lines, and absurd parking situations.... can't say I left surprised.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 am

That's what you get for being a boarder :P
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby peter303 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 am

I ad nice,but very cold snowshoe near Eldora Sunday. Still high winds.

Postby gonzalj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 am

Does anyone know what conditions are like around the loveland pass & tenmile/mosquito range 13ers & 14ers (between Breck & Fairplay) after all this snow we've received. Is it still pretty windblown above treeline or have conditions changed at all?

Postby fleetmack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:05 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:That's what you get for being a boarder :P

Touche -- that'd probably eliminate the catwalks, which is my #1 reason I don't like that place. I was with a skier and her bf (snowboarder) yesterday. She loves Vail, after the day she said, "Never noticed how many catwalks there are here until going with snowboarders.... they are everywhere!!!"
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby pseudoghost » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

gonzalj wrote:Does anyone know what conditions are like around the loveland pass & tenmile/mosquito range 13ers & 14ers (between Breck & Fairplay) after all this snow we've received. Is it still pretty windblown above treeline or have conditions changed at all?

I have been driving all around that area for the last few weeks and climbed Quandary a few weeks back when it was drier. Just from looking at the peaks, you can tell that they have a lot more snow up on top. It has snowed repeatedly all week up there at the higher elevations, so I would expect a foot of snow or more near timberline. Take snowshoes with you if you go, an ice axe, and make sure to go with a buddy. The ridges look partially windswept, but definitely not as clear as they did even last week... It largely depends on the direction that the ridge is, as the winds have been more or less unidirectional (from the northwest) for the last two weeks.

If you decide to go, be EXTREMELY careful. Avalanche danger up there is very HIGH right now: the CAIC is warning against back country travel right now, and there have been two avalanche related fatalities within the last week. I would not even do Quandary right now, as there are portions of that route (which is normally considered "safe") that could slide under these conditions...

Postby Carl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 am

52 inches of snow in 3 days made the last minute drive to Jackson well worth it. A clip from the snow report this morning.
This storm cycle has now dropped 5 feet of powder on our mountain in the past 5 days, and conditions have been epic. There's nothing quite like a huge powder spray arcing through the air around you and smacking you in the face to wake you up in the morning.

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

Carl wrote:52 inches of snow in 3 days made the last minute drive to Jackson well worth it. A clip from the snow report this morning.
This storm cycle has now dropped 5 feet of powder on our mountain in the past 5 days, and conditions have been epic. There's nothing quite like a huge powder spray arcing through the air around you and smacking you in the face to wake you up in the morning.

Sounds like it was a little bit better than WP/MJ this weekend. Maybe. Just a little.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby WheelerDealer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:08 am

Wolf Creek got 8-10" it was blown all over the place though. Pockets were thin, others were super deep. It made the trees more interesting than usual.

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 pm

and there have been two avalanche related fatalities within the last week.

I think there were two avalanche fatalities just on Sunday. One inbounds but on a closed run at Vail, and one out of bounds near Winter Park.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Carl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Magnum420 wrote:
and there have been two avalanche related fatalities within the last week.

I think there were two avalanche fatalities just on Sunday. One inbounds but on a closed run at Vail, and one out of bounds near Winter Park.

WP was in bounds.

PreviousNext