Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

censored pm's

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

censored pm's

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Not sure in what forum topic to put this under, so this is where it's at.

Anyway, I had an interesting thing happen tonight. I sent a pm, with a few non-nazarene cuss words in it. Not directed to the recipient mind you, just a few f-bombs and even s**t was in there. When the sent pm view window thing came up, I noticed the words were like this, f**k and s**t. That's in not how I spell those words.
What gives? It's a pm, not in the forum.
I also posted in the "What are you reading?" thread. I'm reading s**t My Dad Says. SO that is what I wrote. In the pop up window, it's spelled, S--T, but once in the forum, it's spelled out.

Is 14ers being censored? I'm clueless, as most of you probably figured out by now.

Site Administrator

Re: censored pm's

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm

The forum has one set of word censoring and because it's turned on for the public forum threads, it also applies to PMs. I know, it's stupid.

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.
But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction. It's the simple things in life kids.....

Postby tmathews » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

d_baker wrote:Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.
But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction. It's the simple things in life kids.....

f**k THAT s**t. ;) Just type it in all caps if you want to emphasize a point. :mrgreen: (apologies to Bill and any underage forum readers)

Postby chrismjx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm

tmathews wrote:
d_baker wrote:Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.

f**k THAT s**t. ;) Just type it in all caps if you want to emphasize a point. :mrgreen: (apologies to Bill and any underage forum readers)

BAH HA HA HA HA, aaahhhh.... Good one t!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:57 am

:-"
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby CO Native » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote::-"

Nice.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby d_baker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 am

d_baker wrote:But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction.

Satisfaction is now lost.
I guess I shouldn't have let that little ditty out of the bag! :-#

No matter. Bill, maybe this should go to off route so it doesn't offend anyone? Or delete, I don't care.

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 am

When I was under 18 there was a lot of cursing - not by my parents - it was a rough neighborhood. Even now I have a NYC accent. Then I got a job in an office while I was going to college. I was my first interaction with white people i.e. white men in suits and ties who went to college and in position of power. To this day I don't know why they hired me, I looked a bit tough and had long hair with a pony tail. I think I was their charity project.

I noticed they didn't curse so I worked to get curse words out of my speech. Then I looked around at the people who cursed - they were idiots.

Using curse words are not novel any more, they lost their meaning, they used to have the connotation of anger and the threat of violence. Now they just mean frustration by the person using them.

They are over used words. If a person uses the word 'love' for everything (football, shoes etc) then what is that person's spouse or child to think when they say they 'love' them. The word 'love' has become meaningless.

Now let's say the people around you know you to be a person who does not regularly curse and you curse; it has some weight.

Generally, now when a person curses it is meaningless, it says, I'm frustrated, or I got nothing. If it a prelude to violence, that is a mistake, it is giving advance notice.
Last edited by Dex on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am

Swearing has its place. It's been proven through studies that swearing can have a pain relief effect in some cases.

Face it, a few choice words when you crush your finger with a hammer is a lot more effective than saying "DARN IT, THAT SMARTS!".
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am

d_baker wrote:
d_baker wrote:But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction.

Satisfaction is now lost.
I guess I shouldn't have let that little ditty out of the bag! :-#

No matter. Bill, maybe this should go to off route so it doesn't offend anyone? Or delete, I don't care.

lol
I thought you'd find that funny! The reason I put a few words into the "censor" list inside the phpBB software is because we have plenty of younger people using the site. I agree it's goofy that the software applies the changes to PMs, but I can't control that without making custom changes to the forum guts.

No need to delete this thread but I will back out my various combinations of CAPITAL lettered entries. I'm amazed they made the word-censoring function case-sensitive.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

DeucesWild wrote:Face it, a few choice words when you crush your finger with a hammer is a lot more effective than saying "DARN IT, THAT SMARTS!".

Or "SERENITY NOW!"
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Next