Fatal Accident at Silverton

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Fatal Accident at Silverton

Post by oldschool »

:( Super sad.......
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

i saw this, super sad, only 25yrs old.

I heard conditions were downright horrible, lots of people trying to take advantage of the $50 heli drops. Lots of survival skiing, breakable crust/boiler plate conditions. I know it's ski at your own risk, but sometimes you gotta ask the question "when are conditions so bad that it could seriously injure or kill someone?"
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I can only imagine the pain her family and friends are in right now.
ajkagy wrote:"when are conditions so bad that it could seriously injure or kill someone?"
When it's opening day at Vail Resorts.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Evans24
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Evans24 »

Has anyone skiied that run? Is it super dangerous? I was thinking of skiing Silverton, but am now kinda scared! I'm an expert skiier, but a 1500 foot fall with a guide, scares me that could happen to me too?? RIP Sydney, such a sad story.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

RIP Sidney and condolences to family & friends.
Ish
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ish »

Evans24 wrote:Has anyone skiied that run? Is it super dangerous? I was thinking of skiing Silverton, but am now kinda scared! I'm an expert skiier, but a 1500 foot fall with a guide, scares me that could happen to me too??
First off, my condolences to her family. A terrible thing to hear about...

Secondly, I have skiied (snowboarded) this run. It is, like all runs at Silverton, an expert endeavor (double black for sure). I don't like to speculate on where or why she fell, but I will say this - you don't want to fall on ANY run at Silverton. There are numerous hidden cliffs and large obstacles located throughout the guided and unguided terrain alike.

In my opinion, you should definitely feel comfortable skiing resort double blacks (think the lake chutes at Breck or upper stone creek at Beaver Creek) and be able to navigate through them without falling.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Bean wrote:I can only imagine the pain her family and friends are in right now.
ajkagy wrote:"when are conditions so bad that it could seriously injure or kill someone?"
When it's opening day at Vail Resorts.
you mean half this season at vail resorts? :D
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

First, I offer my condolences to her family and a prayer for all involved.
Evans24 wrote:Has anyone skiied that run? Is it super dangerous? I was thinking of skiing Silverton, but am now kinda scared! I'm an expert skiier, but a 1500 foot fall with a guide, scares me that could happen to me too?? RIP Sydney, such a sad story.
Riff and Raff are among the easiest runs at Silverton, which is why the guided days usually start on one of them.
Super dangerous? No. Could you get hurt or die? Yes, but remember, people seem to die on blue runs at ski resorts every year. Errors and bad luck happen.
Ish's take on SIlverton seems spot on to me. I'd add that skill in deep powder is not equivalent to moxie on icy double black runs; folks who aren't comfortable in the pow can have a miserable day and ruin their group's day by taking a long time to get down the mountain.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

This is incredibly sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to her friends and family.

My wife and I were at Silverton on Friday for the Heli deal. The conditions were incredibly variable and consisted of knife hard, bomb proof crust and areas of thin crust with pockets of sugar snow underneath. With the conditions like that, it takes more patience, thought and skill then if it were covered in pow. The runs were very adventurous in those conditions and we had a few hairy moments ourselves having to self-arrest. So if you are going soon before they get allot more snow be prepared for anything and also be confident in your edges and ability to self-arrest. Also, don’t be afraid to tell your guide if you are not comfortable they will find a better line for you.

Please be careful out there and know your limits.
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

A friend of mine knew this girl...very sad indeed. I think this is a huge wakeup call for everyone involved. I have skied at Silverton and have skied this run (Riff Raff). Its to the skier's left as you get off of the chair. As someone mentioned before, it is one of the easiest runs at Silverton and has maybe a 35 degree pitch. Starts off with a roller at the top and then has trees on right and left and feeds down into the valley. I have NO idea how she could've fallen 1500 feet (as the media reported)...perhaps she got off trail a little bit. That said...there aren't really any "easy runs" at Silverton. The terrain there is no joke. But when I was there, the snow was perfect, thigh deep powder...avy conditions very low. If I would've fallen, it wouldn't have been more than 10 feet because of the depth of snow. However, with the conditions in Colorado this year anything at Silverton could've been a nightmare. I know too many people that go to Silverton that have no business being there. That's not to say that this girl wasn't skilled enough but perhaps she shouldn't have been out there. Again, I'm totally speculating about the situation and perhaps someone with better knowledge on the actual happenings can comment but doing $50 heli drop deals is going to encourage some people to try something stupid.