The Sabre-RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

The Sabre-RMNP

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Hey guys I was putting some thought into some peaks for this year and stumbled over the LOJ page for The Sabre in RMNP. I'd always assumed it was class five like the other spires along that ridge and was interested to see it was listed as class 4.

Have any of you guys ever climbed The Sabre and can confirm its class 4? I'm not a rock climber so I'd hate to head up there to find out its out of my league.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Re: The Sabre-RMNP

Post by shaunster_co »

That is interesting that it is listed as a class 4. I was just at Petit Grepon last week checking out the Saber. I have not climbed it, but I had looked in to it from these routes; http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-saber/105745600, which are all 5.9-5.11
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

No 4rth class that I know of. Its all pretty techical climbing to the summit. Unless there is a 4rth class route on the complete other side of the valley...kind of doubt it though...anyone else? It's all from 5.9 to 5.11 R as far as routes go. Sweet formation and some awesome solid rock! (on route that is)
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

A few months ago I exchanged emails on this topic with John Kirk (the "John" in "Lists of John") and he confirmed that there was a semi-walkup on the Sabre. Sure enough, I looked in the Gillett RMNP guide and in the "Descent" info he mentions a 3rd/4th class descent down the "broad north side." So apparently there is a non-5th ascent route, but I have no other information on it.
-Tom

PS: Noah, good luck in the Elks, be safe.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

TomPierce wrote:A few months ago I exchanged emails on this topic with John Kirk (the "John" in "Lists of John") and he confirmed that there was a semi-walkup on the Sabre. Sure enough, I looked in the Gillett RMNP guide and in the "Descent" info he mentions a 3rd/4th class descent down the "broad north side." So apparently there is a non-5th ascent route, but I have no other information on it.
-Tom

PS: Noah, good luck in the Elks, be safe.

Wow. Had no idea. I wonder where it exactly is? Thanks for chiming in Tom. And will do. Hopefully things will work out this time.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Thanks for the info guys, I kinda doubted it at first but as I began to look at pictures from the Andrews Tarn area I could see possible routes forming. Everyone probably climbs The Sabre from Sky Pond rather than The Gash(which correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought was the 'standard' easiest route to climb The Sharkstooth). Anyhow I think I'm down for the class 4 and will attempt it later this year.

Heres a picture from the NE, you can definitely see a 'broad face' http://images.summitpost.org/original/149812.jpg
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Jeremy Bauman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Jeremy Bauman »

On a side note, does anyone know if the Sharkstooth is in good enough condition to climb? I'd love to grab a winter ascent while the weather is decent.