Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Sabre-RMNP

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

The Sabre-RMNP

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey guys I was putting some thought into some peaks for this year and stumbled over the LOJ page for The Sabre in RMNP. I'd always assumed it was class five like the other spires along that ridge and was interested to see it was listed as class 4.

Have any of you guys ever climbed The Sabre and can confirm its class 4? I'm not a rock climber so I'd hate to head up there to find out its out of my league.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Re: The Sabre-RMNP

Postby shaunster_co » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

That is interesting that it is listed as a class 4. I was just at Petit Grepon last week checking out the Saber. I have not climbed it, but I had looked in to it from these routes; http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-saber/105745600, which are all 5.9-5.11

Postby Winter8000m » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:25 pm

No 4rth class that I know of. Its all pretty techical climbing to the summit. Unless there is a 4rth class route on the complete other side of the valley...kind of doubt it though...anyone else? It's all from 5.9 to 5.11 R as far as routes go. Sweet formation and some awesome solid rock! (on route that is)
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby TomPierce » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm

A few months ago I exchanged emails on this topic with John Kirk (the "John" in "Lists of John") and he confirmed that there was a semi-walkup on the Sabre. Sure enough, I looked in the Gillett RMNP guide and in the "Descent" info he mentions a 3rd/4th class descent down the "broad north side." So apparently there is a non-5th ascent route, but I have no other information on it.
-Tom

PS: Noah, good luck in the Elks, be safe.

Postby Winter8000m » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 pm

TomPierce wrote:A few months ago I exchanged emails on this topic with John Kirk (the "John" in "Lists of John") and he confirmed that there was a semi-walkup on the Sabre. Sure enough, I looked in the Gillett RMNP guide and in the "Descent" info he mentions a 3rd/4th class descent down the "broad north side." So apparently there is a non-5th ascent route, but I have no other information on it.
-Tom

PS: Noah, good luck in the Elks, be safe.

Wow. Had no idea. I wonder where it exactly is? Thanks for chiming in Tom. And will do. Hopefully things will work out this time.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I kinda doubted it at first but as I began to look at pictures from the Andrews Tarn area I could see possible routes forming. Everyone probably climbs The Sabre from Sky Pond rather than The Gash(which correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought was the 'standard' easiest route to climb The Sharkstooth). Anyhow I think I'm down for the class 4 and will attempt it later this year.

Heres a picture from the NE, you can definitely see a 'broad face' http://images.summitpost.org/original/149812.jpg
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Jeremy Bauman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 pm

On a side note, does anyone know if the Sharkstooth is in good enough condition to climb? I'd love to grab a winter ascent while the weather is decent.