Great Sand Dunes seen from space

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Great Sand Dunes seen from space

Post by tmathews »

I was just looking through this link: Most Beautiful National Parks Seen from Space and saw that Great Sand Dunes NP is in there.

In this image, is the Crestone Group visible? I can't quite tell from the drainages. The Blanca Group is really obvious (as is Mt. Herard, I believe -- immediately NE of the Dunes).

Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Great Sand Dunes seen from space

Post by Dave B »

I think the long ridge east of the crest, just below the top of the picture is Humboldt with South Colony Lakes just west and south right?

White/black arrow is Humbolt, Red/black arrow is roughly the Crestones?
Attachments
sanddunesnp1_1.jpg
sanddunesnp1_1.jpg (214.3 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

http://g.co/maps/3yasb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like you're right on Humboldt, but your left arrow is pointing at Crestolita.

P.S. Merry Christmas/Happy New Years, everyone.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Great picture, thanks, Terry!

I tried to mark the Crestones on this copy: red is the Peak, yellow is the Needle.

The big L-shaped drainage just north of the Dunes is Sand Creek; a few years back we did a 5-day loop backpack from Music Pass down Sand Creek, up Medano Pass, and back north on the Rainbow Trail, and the whole route is visible on the picture. The details are really sharp. I thought the lower switchbacks of the Como Lake road were visible also (light squiggle in the trees), but my topo map shows that as a non-road line through the trees near Zapata Falls - anyone know what that is?
Attachments
sanddunesnp1_1.jpg
sanddunesnp1_1.jpg (151.33 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

That "squiggle" is the road to the Zapata Falls trailhead and the new Zapata Falls Campground.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Here's a zoom on the road
road.jpg
road.jpg (704.42 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
And a tighter zoom on the new campground:
falls.jpg
falls.jpg (654.16 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

I don't know which peak is which, but I sure have enjoyed looking at the National Parks from space in the link you provided. Thanks a bunch for posting it, tmathews!
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang