Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's all the hype about technical CA 14ers?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

What's all the hype about technical CA 14ers?

Postby Matt Lemke » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 pm

I just finished reading all the route beta for all the ranked CA 14ers and I found only one harder than class 3, which is North Palisade. Interestingly enough, the three popular unranked CA 14ers, Starlight, Polemonium and Thunderbolt are all class 4 or higher. This excites me as I now know I will finish the continuous US ranked 14ers list. All I have to do is cheat death 5 times :lol:

Capitol, Pyramid, Little Bear, Mt. Wilson and North Palisade.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Re: What's all the hype about technical CA 14ers?

Postby rangerdrew » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:09 am

No idea, but I really want to climb the East Buttress of Mt. Whitney.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:18 am

Don't get too excited...one big thing to keep in mind regarding California peaks is that they have they have deceivingly easy class rankings compared to Colorado (and most everywhere else). A solid class 3 in California would be called 3+ or 4 in Colorado. North Pal is generally called 4th class, but I've heard it more accurately described as low 5th. And Muir, supposedly class 3, ended up being too much for me when I attempted it solo--got spooked on a part I'd describe as much more like c4.

I'm hoping to finish the CA 14ers someday too--including the named but unranked ones--but it's going to be a definite challenge...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:38 am

How are things going Chris? Planning on Princeton tomorrow, Elbert Sunday and Humboldt Monday.

BTW, I know that about CA but there are still peaks there rated class 3 that I would still call 3rd class and others called 4th class that would be more like low 5th class.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:26 am

"Reading all the route beta" doesn't equal actually climbing them. The class 3 route on Mount Russell was much more mentally challenging for me than any of the four Colorado peaks you noted - Capitol, Pyramid, Little Bear, and Mount Wilson - due to the exposure. Not to say it wasn't a lot of fun.

Beta is subjective, and written by climbers who range from dramatically playing down the difficulty of a peak (I assume to make themselves look like super-climbers) to dramatically exaggerating the difficulty of a climb (again, I assume to make themselves look like super-climbers).

The more I climb the fewer assumptions I make about the difficulty of any peak. Get out there and climb them and then let us know what you think.