Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snow conditions Butler Gultch/Jones Pass???

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Snow conditions Butler Gultch/Jones Pass???

Postby JE242 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:15 am

Seeing if anyone has been up in the Butler Gultch/Jones Pass area in the past couple days. I'm getting restless waiting for my favorite terrain to open @ luv and my wife wants to try out her new AT setup. Any good (or @ least not bad) news for me?

Re: Snow conditions Butler Gultch/Jones Pass???

Postby Lunkerking » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 am

I was up there this past Sunday. The good news is if you can find some untracked pow below treeline the snow quality is good. However, most things right at treeline were thin as I scraped a few rocks. Most of the more commonly skied areas are getting tracked out as there has not been much new snow in a couple weeks it seems. That being said if you just wanted to get out and test some gear and get some exercise I would go.

Postby COBuckeye » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am

My buddy and I are planning on heading up to Jones Pass tomorrow morning. We have not been in this area, but are looking to explore and get some exercise. We will be on skis, and this will be a pretty mellow day. Any one is welcome to join us, just send me a PM.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Cruiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 am

Did you get up there yesterday buckeye? If so, how was the road? Continuous snow from the parking lot up to treeline? Wondering if I can get the sled up there for some goofing around yet.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby COBuckeye » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:55 am

Here is the link to my Conditions Report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=967

Sorry it says Pettingell Peak, I had to put something in the "Peak" catagory and I think Pettingell is the closest 13er.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby outsidemike » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 am

Berthoud pass has decent coverage on the both sides of the road. There are still a few rocks exposed on the west side of the road so be careful with the new skis
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."

Postby Cruiser » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:16 pm

COBuckeye wrote:Here is the link to my Conditions Report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=967

Sorry it says Pettingell Peak, I had to put something in the "Peak" catagory and I think Pettingell is the closest 13er.

Sweet. Thanks!
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby COBuckeye » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I skied Jones again today and wanted to pass along some snowpack info. The Wed/Thursday storm did not add much to the Jones Pass area. I did get spooked by hollow sounds and one "whumph" on an east facing 25deg slope near 12,000ft. This snow was wind slab on ground facets. Stay safe out there!