Squaw or Chief?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Squaw or Chief?

Post by PaliKona »

I'm looking to do a short hike tomorrow AM in the Front Range and was thinking Squaw or Chief would be good...which would you recommend?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Squaw or Chief?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

IMO, Squaw is easier (road to top) but Chief is more enjoyable, plus Chief's summit is pretty cool.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Agree with Bill.

Squaw is easier.

Chief is more fun.

If you are in relatively good shape you can actually do a bit of a loop from the TH up Squaw, across Papoose, then Chief, and back down the road/trail to the TH you parked at.

I am relatively slow and I think we did it in snowshoes last January in about 5.5 hrs.

Would definitely be up for going again if you ever have a M/T/W free and want to do them.

B
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Any idea of the conditions up the Chief trail? I read somewhere that it's hard to follow?
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Any idea of the conditions up the Chief trail? I read somewhere that it's hard to follow?
Not usually. Its packed down pretty much all year and once you get past the saddle between Papoose Mtn and Chief Mountain, you'll sometimes find a track leading straight uphill to treeline. Otherwise, its pretty mellow switchbacks until you can see the summit.

Also, I walked the road to Squaw Mtn yesterday without any traction. I didn't go up to Papoose Mtn but from past experience they can be very useful for the short stretch from the road to Papoose's summit.

I didn't get a zoomed in photo but that's a mountain goat near the summit tower. A guy working on the antennae came to investigate because he said he's been working there 15 years, never seen one before, and thought he was seeing things.
squaw(14)121511 001.JPG
squaw(14)121511 001.JPG (144.39 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

Definitely Chief, since Squaw is politically incorrect.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

haha......And the hike to Squaw can be a let-down with all of the trash and shot-up trees off of the lower part of the 'trail'. I guess you'd have to know how to read to know regs require the use biodegradable targets and it's hard to 'leave no trace' with shattered glass bottles, smashed cars and effigys. Chief is fun, has great views and no road goin up it.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Chief it is! Thx for the info!
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Had a great short hike up Chief today and played on the summit rocks for at least a half hour. Loved the bouldering up there with insanely beautiful Front Range views. The trail was all packed snow the whole way up...did it in trail runners.