Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Squaw or Chief?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Squaw or Chief?

Postby PaliKona » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm looking to do a short hike tomorrow AM in the Front Range and was thinking Squaw or Chief would be good...which would you recommend?

Site Administrator

Re: Squaw or Chief?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 pm

IMO, Squaw is easier (road to top) but Chief is more enjoyable, plus Chief's summit is pretty cool.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby somethingrandom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Agree with Bill.

Squaw is easier.

Chief is more fun.

If you are in relatively good shape you can actually do a bit of a loop from the TH up Squaw, across Papoose, then Chief, and back down the road/trail to the TH you parked at.

I am relatively slow and I think we did it in snowshoes last January in about 5.5 hrs.

Would definitely be up for going again if you ever have a M/T/W free and want to do them.

B
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby PaliKona » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Any idea of the conditions up the Chief trail? I read somewhere that it's hard to follow?

Postby zoomie83 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Any idea of the conditions up the Chief trail? I read somewhere that it's hard to follow?

Not usually. Its packed down pretty much all year and once you get past the saddle between Papoose Mtn and Chief Mountain, you'll sometimes find a track leading straight uphill to treeline. Otherwise, its pretty mellow switchbacks until you can see the summit.

Also, I walked the road to Squaw Mtn yesterday without any traction. I didn't go up to Papoose Mtn but from past experience they can be very useful for the short stretch from the road to Papoose's summit.

I didn't get a zoomed in photo but that's a mountain goat near the summit tower. A guy working on the antennae came to investigate because he said he's been working there 15 years, never seen one before, and thought he was seeing things.
squaw(14)121511 001.JPG
squaw(14)121511 001.JPG (144.39 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Postby edhaman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Definitely Chief, since Squaw is politically incorrect.

Postby JE242 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:33 pm

haha......And the hike to Squaw can be a let-down with all of the trash and shot-up trees off of the lower part of the 'trail'. I guess you'd have to know how to read to know regs require the use biodegradable targets and it's hard to 'leave no trace' with shattered glass bottles, smashed cars and effigys. Chief is fun, has great views and no road goin up it.

Postby PaliKona » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Chief it is! Thx for the info!

Postby PaliKona » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Had a great short hike up Chief today and played on the summit rocks for at least a half hour. Loved the bouldering up there with insanely beautiful Front Range views. The trail was all packed snow the whole way up...did it in trail runners.