Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby 55mountains » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am

I was born in Cortez, CO and for the most part, I grew up in Farmington, New Mexico. I am currently living in Albuquerque. I am not a professional athlete, trail runner, marathoner, or by any means do I consider myself an experienced mountaineer. I have spent a good amount of time in the mountains and I understand how they draw people in, their incredible beauty and rugged isolation. I have visited this site on several occasions and I enjoy reading the trip reports, viewing the photographs, and the sense of camaraderie among the regular posters is insane. I don’t think I have seen that on any other forum. That being said, I would like to take a stab at breaking the 55 mountain speed record set by Teddy Keizer in 2000 (unless there is a more recent one that I haven’t been able to find). The preliminary dates are set for the summer of 2014. I realize that the date may seem like a long time from now, but as most of you understand, that time frame provides me ample opportunity to accumulate the required knowledge and skillset to participate in such an event (as well as organize). First and foremost, however, I felt it necessary to announce my intentions to the people who regularly climb the 14er’s before I move any further. Without the overwhelming support of the people on this website, I will most likely not move forward. I look forward to reading your comments.

P.S.- In the upcoming weeks I will be posting more information as it becomes relevant, both here and on my personal website.

Re: Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 am

Thats an awesome goal to have! Good luck with all your planning and training prior to your attempt. Have you climbed the 14ers before or will this be a whole new experience? Just to get it out there are you doing the whole 3000ft rule on all peaks, or will you be doing saddles and traverses on them?

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:56 am

The record holder''s web site has a good discussion of the rules: 3000 feet of ascent on the first peak with traverses allowed, plus a required descent of 3000 feet before driving to the next trailhead.
http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pages/Colorado_Fourteeners/14ers-index-frame.html

Trying to break this record is pretty audacious. Good luck!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 am

I'm in a good mood and will assume you are sincere, rather than trolling.

Maybe you're well aware of what this will entail. Not that you have to follow Cave Dog's methods, but he had a dedicated support team of 4 or so individuals with a motor home, ATV, and backup vehicles. Also I believe he climbed all or most the 14ers at least 3 times first to be familiar with them in the dark and what-not.

Well good luck, sounds like fun regardless of the outcome. Be safe.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Randy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm

I would be glad to help, if I see you coming I will get out of the way and hand you a cliffbar and a drink, good luck to you.

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 pm

I think your goal is ambitious, but I am willing to bet $100 that Teddy's record cannot be beat.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby justiner » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 pm

I'd be interested in knowing why this type of record appeals to you.

Speaking purely for myself, a lot of the fun, excitement and adventure goes out the window with all that support. What would be totally and completely epic is if you did it with similar rules we used for something like the Tour Divide: be unsupported while out of towns and self-supported while in them, getting no help from an outside party - and only when that help was commercially available to all (example: eating at a restaurant, or receiving packages you mailed yourself from a post office). From the start to the finish, you do all the work, planning, strategy, etc.

I mean, what's cooler, paying some guide company to drag a questionably fit person using an army of sherpas up Everest , or Reinhold Messner's solo attempt w/o bottled oxygen?

To me, running up all the 14ers from a trailhead that's at least 3,000 feet from the summit is arbitrary at best. Having to rely on transportation to get you to the next trailhead is pedestrian. Pedal a bike between mountains and you would be truly incredible! :) I'm certain that I'm completely in the minority and my idea would seem crazy and impossible - maybe almost specifically for the time it probably would take to finish up something like this - around 3x to 6x simply running up and down, w/transportation in between, but a lot of people think thru-hikers are off their rocker.
'
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby dubsho3000 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 pm

I think the more simple a record is, the better. It is simple to say "I climbed all the 14ers in the shortest time ever". Sure, some rules are needed, but I think this is the ultimate speed goal in 14ering. Transportation is a sticky point, but it nevers bothers me to think about that part. The fact that all the peaks were climbed in less than 2 weeks is mind boggling to me.

Good luck to you, if you try.

Postby dubsho3000 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 pm

On second thought, screw the rules. See how fast you can touch the true summit of each peak. So, drive to Pikes, drive to Evans, drive to 13,900 on Antero, etc. I'd still be super amazed at a time less than 11 days. Maybe you break the record and start a new game.

hell, if you can parachute to a summit, I say do it!

Postby GreenHorn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm

awilbur77 wrote: Pedal a bike between mountains and you would be truly incredible! I'm certain that I'm completely in the minority and my idea would seem crazy and impossible - maybe almost specifically for the time it probably would take to finish up something like this - around 3x to 6x simply running up and down, w/transportation in between, but a lot of people think thru-hikers are off their rocker.

Andrew Hamilton did it in just over 19 days.

http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/progress.html
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby peter303 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 pm

I recall cavedawg's record to be during a drought year (2000). I recall the typical August-September snow dustings hadnt occurred until later that year. that meant not worrying about snow and ice during the high altitude runs.

Other timing issues are thunderstorms and daylight hours. There are a couple weeks in September some years after the thunderstorms weaken and before the snow dustings begin. But the days are getting shorter. You have about 13 hours of light then. I think cavedawg had some 18 hour days there.

http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pages/Colorado_Fourteeners/14ers-index-frame.html

Postby jameseroni » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Why is it that you will not proceed without the overwhelming support of this community? We don't own the 14ers and if this is something you want to do I say go for it, irregardless.

Next