Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Which ski pants?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Which ski pants?

Postby alsrun » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

I would like to find waterproof/breathable/uninsulated shell-like ski pants with a slim fit, outside thigh vents, reinforced bottoms to reduce friction wear and powder skirts on the inside bottoms. I do mostly alpine skiing at CB with a few Nordic outings a year. I say "slim-fit" because I am not a fan of the big flare-out at the bottoms of most ski pants mfg. these days. I would like the fit to be more snug at the bottom of the pants where they drape over the ski boot. (Ever get your ski brake caught in the bottom of your flared-out ski pants?...YIKES!) Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Which ski pants?

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

arc'tyrx beta AR...had 'em for years, super durable. If by "reinforced bottoms" you mean the butt portion, these pants do not have it, but if you mean instep reinforcement against crampons/ski edges then yes these pants do have that. Other than that, they have everything else you specified.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby JDgreen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:51 am

I have these and am quite happy with them. I think they meet all your criteria.
http://www.bentgate.com/mammut-castor-pant.html
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Postby gcoldewey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:39 am

"arc'tyrx beta AR...had 'em for years, super durable. If by "reinforced bottoms" you mean the butt portion, these pants do not have it, but if you mean instep reinforcement against crampons/ski edges then yes these pants do have that. Other than that, they have everything else you specified."
+1 Best ski pants ever.

Postby Patinator » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:02 am

I use the Arc'teryx Theta SV Bibs for alpine/backcountry skiing and the Arc'teryx Gamma SK Pant for more aerobic nordic style skiing.

I chose the former over the Arc'teryx Beta AR Pant because of the extra powder protection given with the bib/pant style. I typically prefer the pant style, but this version doesn't just go up you your waist, it goes to just under your pecs and without the wedgie feeling associated with most bibs. If you go with the pant style and are worried about powder exposure, just make sure your jacket is a little bit longer (like the Theta SV). I matched the bibs with the Alpha SV jacket since I didn't need the extra length that the bib covers.

The Gamma SK Pant is pretty good, but since it is soft shell, sizing is really key to avoid the wedgie issue since it is bib style also. They are lightweight so if you stop moving and the weather is nasty, you might get cold.

If you need any help navigating the Arc'teryx nominclature, I think this is how it breaks down:

Family Names:
Alpha = Mountaineering
Beta = Shorter & Lighter
Theta = Generalist
Sidewinder = side-zip snowsports
Venta = Windstopper
Gamma = The Original Softshell (made of stretch woven Nylon/Spandex fabric)
Delta = Fleece
Rho = Base layer

SL - Super Lightweight
LT - Lightweight
AR - All Around
SV - Severe
SK - Skiing
MX- Mixed Use
AC2- Advanced Composite Construction
ST- Street

Postby alsrun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks for the timely replies...one of these suggestions will be in my quiver of ski gear.

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 am

My new ski/alpine pant this year is the Outdoor Research Trailbreaker pant. They are wind resistant softshell with water proof lower legs, thigh vents, adjustable waist, suspender loops, removable internal gaiters and this kick ass two-way fly zipper that makes wearing a harness less of a problem. They are literally the perfect pant, that I've spent the last couple of years looking for.

Best of all they come in a nice grey color.

While these are more alpine/backcountry pant, I plan on wearing them at just about every resort day I ski this year.

My second choice was the new Rab Fusion pants with the Polartec NeoShell material, but I couldn't find those for sale anywhere.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby BKullman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:39 am

+1 on the Theta SV's. Love these bibs paired with my Sidewinder SV jacket

Postby telern » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Try the FlyLow Stash pants. Not a slim fit, but inner/outer thigh vents, pockets, and ankle snow gaiters. I love them! I had a pair of Cloudveil pants, and blew out the stitching TWICE on the "reinforced" inner ankles. Plus FlyLow is a Colorado company which keeps some of the money in state.

Postby Bean » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

telern wrote:Try the FlyLow Stash pants. Not a slim fit, but inner/outer thigh vents, pockets, and ankle snow gaiters. I love them! I had a pair of Cloudveil pants, and blew out the stitching TWICE on the "reinforced" inner ankles. Plus FlyLow is a Colorado company which keeps some of the money in state.

It's a shame everything flylow is cut short and fat, they've got some decent products.

davey_rocket wrote:They are literally the perfect pant, that I've spent the last couple of years looking for.

Not yellow = not perfect. :wink:
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com