Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Skiing around Wolf Creek?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

AT Skiing around Wolf Creek?

Postby saxybrian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

I'll be up skiing at Wolf Creek for a week, and may want to take a day off from the resorts and do some back country stuff on some low to moderate grade stuff. Does anyone know if there's any AT Skiing out there that I could skin up and do some fine turns down?

Thanks!

Re: AT Skiing around Wolf Creek?

Postby WheelerDealer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am

The lifts offer up all sorts of backcountry options skiing from the backside of the Bonanza lift. With Wolf Creek though, you can probably get the kind of turns you want in bounds. Try hiking left out of the Treasure lift. If that stuff is appealing, then there's tons more (steeper, longer) hiking from the top of the Alberta Chair.

If you do decide on the backcountry, keep in mind that they've already got a ton of snow, and you should have all the avy gear and training.

It probably doesn't qualify as "low grade" but Alberta peak down through the 1st waterfall gate appears 3 times in the top 5 runs of my life. Or have I said too much already? :-#

Re: AT Skiing around Wolf Creek?

Postby ajkagy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 am

there are a ton of options around wolf creek pass, everybody usually parks on the north side of the road near the pass. There used to be a site with an online "guide" to wolf creek backcountry near the road but got taken down, here is the info re-posted...enjoy

http://www.powderbuzz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2793&sid=d4c983a64d0d56dbf34b7ef5cd2f0560
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.