Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help me convince her!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Help me convince her!

Postby ironman11 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I have finally convinced my g/f that CO would be a great place to start a family. We currently live in NC and I want to move to CO very badly. I am planning a trip for us to come out the 2nd week of March. I am taking suggestions on places to go/see while we are there.

We will be skiing 2 days at vail and 1 day at another resort near frisco, any suggestions for a resort besides vail? This will be weekday skiing.

By looking at a map Frisco looked pretty central, any other lodging ideas? We want to stay in an actual town, not just a resort village.

Also, this is the important one, she would like to do a day of hiking and snowshoeing. Any good "Safe" places within and 1-2 ride from the Frisco area that capture the lure and beaty of CO? Preferebly not more than 2 hrs from Denver since we will be flying out of there the next day.

Please help me convince her, any help is appresciated!

Re: Help me convince her!

Postby tmathews » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

If there aren't enough reasons for her to move to CO, then maybe she's not the one! :wink: :mrgreen:

Postby Carl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm

ironman11 wrote:Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I have finally convinced my g/f that CO would be a great place to start a family. We currently live in NC and I want to move to CO very badly.

ironman11 wrote:Please help me convince her, any help is appresciated!

So is she convinced or not? If not, my suggestion is to fly directly into Aspen, stay somewhere nice, eat well, and ask her to marry you. If that doesn't work, repeat again in August (absent the proposal). It ain't a cheap plan, but this is important.

Postby oldschool » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Colorado allows people to be and explore that which makes them who they are. Cities...got 'em her. Mountains....got 'em here. Skiing, hiking, arts and music and baseball and football and Aspen and Vail and Red Rocks and the San Juan mountains and....and....and!!

I will live the rest of my life here..no convincing required. I would be honored to die in Colorado! :-k
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Come to Colorado, have a good time - it doesn't have to even be great.Carve a few days out of the end of your trip to go spend some time in Mississippi or Atlanta or Detroit. The contrast will definitely serve to highlight the pluses of Colorado. Convincing doesn't necessarily mean Colorado has to be better, you just have to make it seem that way - perception is everything.

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Get one of the small rental cabins in Chautauqua Park in Boulder. The town is beautiful, fun, and lots of hiking and snowshoeing are right outside your door. And it is not a resort.

Postby ironman11 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Here is a little background... We both love the mountains and the outdoors in general. We whitewater paddle , ski, backpack, cycle and a few other things. We are very into fitness and love being active. We both agree that Charlotte, NC (our current residence) and possibly CO are the only two places we would like to settle. I just need a little local info on a cool town to stay in near the vail area so that I don't end up putting us in tiny town with nothing to do/eat. Also another resort preference besides vail, and possibly some good areas for a day hike/snowshoe tour

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm from Charlotte myself, and I tell anyone who will listen that Charlotte and Denver are very comparable cities. That might be a selling point if you're looking at moving here.

But, you didn't say necessarily you want to live in Denver. Do you, or do you prefer a mountain town? If the goal is to convince her to move, I'd schedule at least a day in the planned area.

I don't spend a ton of time along the I-70 corridor because I don't ski, but any of the towns in the area -- Silverthorne, Frisco, Breckenridge, Vail, Dillon and so on -- will have easy access to most amenities. I don't consider those true "mountain towns" in the vein of Leadville or Silverton. They're resort towns. You certainly won't be lacking for entertainment or restaurants.

As far as snowshoe trails, the options are pretty limitless from such a central location. You could try Quandary's East Ridge if you're feeling up for a 14er, or if you don't mind a bit of a drive you can't go wrong with Rocky Mountain National Park.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the transition/differences/similarities between North Carolina and Colorado.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby rocky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Consider a night in Glenwood Springs at the Hot Springs Lodge (and pool). It's only an hour from Vail. The drive through Glenwood Canyon is really spectacular!

http://www.hotspringspool.com/

There is nothing like sitting in the "hot pool" with stars and moon above and the steam rising into the frigid night air - if it snows while you are in the pool, it's even better! Just checked - full moon for March is on the 8th.

Good luck to you both!
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby nkan02 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Ha, a ski trip over Christmas a number of years ago convinced me to move to Colorado! And we did not even ski anything as fancy as Vail or Aspen - I recall being quite pleased with Copper and Keystone. We did hit Hotel Colorado w/hot springs and Leadville (for the views). In fact, that vacation was so good, I recall sitting on the plane, crying - I so did not want to go back to New York.
Colorado turned out to be far better in real life than me as a tourist could have ever imagined - a polar opposite of NYC (a fun place to visit, but not to live).

Postby SkiBum1287 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I would say Copper is your best choice. It has a wide variety of skiing, shorter lift lines, and certainly the best views in Summit County (maybe I'm biased). If it is Spring Break for any of the Colorado universities, it will be busier than a normal weekday, though midweek is still going to be much less congested than the weekend.
Snow!

Postby mtgirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 am

A snowshoe to Mayflower Gulch might fit the bill, and it's near Copper if you decide to ski there. Beautiful views, easy to follow route, and an easily accessible trailhead. Here's a little info:

http://baconphoto.com/travel/2006-mayflower/

http://colorado-lifestyle.blogspot.com/2008/03/mayflower-gulch-snowshoe.html

Good luck with your potential move to Colorado. I moved here about 11 years ago from the east coast and haven't regretted a single day !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Next