aconcagua Nov 2011

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
idance7
14ers: 38 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: aconcagua Nov 2011

Post by idance7 »

how much did it actually cost?
I lift my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth! He will not let your foot slip; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Psalm 121:1-3
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Congrats on the summit! Will you post a trip report?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
KatieFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 2 4
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KatieFinn »

Ruben,

Congrats! Good work! =D>

Separately, when are we getting together for that beer that we have been talking about?
Kate
AspenEx
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AspenEx »

Nice job.

Looking forward to the TR.
Ascend - Explore - Discover

http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
polishruben
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

thanks everyone :)

costs wise: I have not calculated everything yet, and I may delay it for a long time hehe. But a bulk assessment: ~300 bucks in gear upgrades and dry food, 300 ascent permit, 150 for mules both ways ( yes, more on that in TR ), and about 30-50 bucks a day after the summit for food, wine and hostels. Since the flight was free I think it was around or slightly more 1K for everything.

I will post TR, after I get re-organize and settle in :) I got back last night. There are definitely points for and against going so early in the season, but one sentence should summarize it: "ALONE on the summit." More in TR.

Kasia, jak najbardziej. Lets figure out some dates that would work!:) Zostajecie tutaj na swieta czy lecicie gdzies ? ( nothing beats a good multilingual conversation ;)
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Congrats Ruben! I'm glad u did it in Nov (if only to silence the random critics!)! Looking forward to the tr. Very cool
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Bravo Ruben =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> What's next?
Can't wait to read the trip report!!!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Congrats! I'm also looking forward to the TR once you get settled in.
polishruben
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

hey guys, the TR is up and running. In advance, I apologize for grammar and tenses mixed up, I am too lazy to correct everything. But I hope you enjoy the story and the pictures.. (it is a long one, so grab a brew !)
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11286. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Awesome and helpful TR! Congrats!
polishruben
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

just an update to the thread. I mentioned in my previous comment, that I got my tix to Argentina for free. Lots of you asked me how did I do it, so here it is.
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/Tr ... 7EB9DD7F76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

current promotion, not sure how long it will last. Apply for any of this cards ( make sure you have your AA.com account set up first and your member number handy ), spend on it 2.5 ( rent, car, bills, gas etc.. easy ) and you will get 50K airmiles deposited to your AA account. It takes 45K to fly directly to Mendoza.

hope that helps some of you! good luck

By the way, you can apply for more than one card at this same time.. just letting you know :) ( but no more than 2 )
polishruben
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

As mentioned in my TR, I will host a presentation - slideshow from my trip Aconcagua on March 5th. It will take place at Westminster REI.
It is free and you can register here: http://www.rei.com/event/34297/session/42972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;