Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder OSMP Turns the Screw...again

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Boulder OSMP Turns the Screw...again

Postby Kapelmuur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 am

Tags, education videos and confiscation of property? Wow. I took a neutral stance on the last Boulder OSMP debate here, but this one seems pretty indefensible:

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_19428713

Time to mobilize.
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Re: Boulder OSMP Turns the Screw...again

Postby ajkagy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am

commence non-boulder resident butthurt

"Feinberg said the popular trailheads are often overflowing with vehicles on the weekends, with cars illegally parked along the road."

I guess people aren't really getting a clue...kudos to Boulder for at least doing something about it.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby kbmiller » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 am

Boulder has a lot of decent people living there, but it is governed by fascists. Don't leave any tax dollars behind, only fumes.

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 am

If that city councilwoman gets her way, looks like we'll all be wearing dog collars with special tags on them. :roll:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Kapelmuur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:36 am

ajkagy wrote:commence non-boulder resident butthurt

"Feinberg said the popular trailheads are often overflowing with vehicles on the weekends, with cars illegally parked along the road."

I guess people aren't really getting a clue...kudos to Boulder for at least doing something about it.

Nice soundbite from the top of the article. Did you read the whole thing? If it was just about parking I honestly wouldn't care 'cause I already got my free pass. Deeper into the article is the somewhat more disturbing part:

""For me, it's how do we get people so they're more aware of other users?" [City Council member Lisa] Morzel said. "...I would like to see something...to improve people's behavior on trails.""

Notice how she doesn't say: "butthurt non-boulder resident", but rather "people" as in, everybody. Besides, IMO tags, education videos, confiscation of property or any attempt to legislate trail etiquette in a heavy handed manner is just an all-around bad idea, no matter where you live.
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

I don't really see enforcement of mountain bikes on the trails as an issue. In three years of using the Boulder OSMP trails several times a week, I have only seen mountain bikes on a trail once. I think they were CU students new to town. As soon as I advised them of the ticket hazard, they headed down.

The current dog green tag system is almost meaningless since there is no testing requirement of the owner's control of the dog. The education impact of the tag requirement probably helps reduce bad behavior to some extent.

Much of the issue seems to come back to the question of usage volume. Is it a good idea to limit the number of people/dogs accessing the Boulder OSMP? If so, how should it be implemented? How can it be implemented with the available resources?

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:43 am

[quote="Tory Wells"]If that city councilwoman gets her way, looks like we'll all be wearing dog collars with special tags on them. :roll:[/quote]

OMG, ecollars for hikers? :shock:

Postby roguejackalope » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:46 am

Kapelmuur wrote:...or any attempt to legislate trail etiquette in a heavy handed manner is just an all-around bad idea, no matter where you live.

Maybe she could legislate herself some friends.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby ajkagy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 am

Kapelmuur wrote:Notice how she doesn't say: "butthurt non-boulder resident", but rather "people" as in, everybody. IMO an attempt to legislate trail etiquette in a heavy handed manner is just an all-around bad idea, no matter where you live.

referring to the previous thread, but yea if people (boulder residents/non-resisdents alike) are creating the total gong show like many front range trail heads then more power to the people trying to prevent that. Some trail heads out in gunnison county get busy, but for some reason people seem to be able to follow the rules and park legally...not a hard concept. Trail etiquette is one thing, illegally having your dog off leash/mtn bike in areas off limits/hiking in areas off limits, ect is another...i've seen plenty of the latter in the front range.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby dubsho3000 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Obviously I'd hate to see a tagging system put in place for hikers, but I do think politicians should be able to brainstorm solutions to problems. It seems like that is what the councilwoman was doing. She didn't say anything in the article that made it sound like she was married to the idea. She even said "I'm just up for the discussion". That in itself seems like a good quality in a politician.

Postby GoPackGo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't see the problem here. Enforcing parking restrictions, which the do everywhere. Enforcing leash laws, which the do everywhere. What's the problem? Go somewhere else to hike. Lots of options.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm

[Councilwoman Morzel] said an enhanced tag program or an aggressive outreach campaign would help address the "confusion" that people have on trails, such as with the unwritten rule that people who are going uphill have the right of way.

How can you enforce an "unwritten rule"? And really, why is it some people have so much trouble passing others on trails, anyway?
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Next