Alaska Beta?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Alaska Beta?

Post by steelfrog »

OK, just starting to think about a little trip to Alaska, but don't know much about it. Not looking for Denali-type mountaineering, but summer hiking (though I know this could entail negotiating glacier travel). Anyone have any ideas about where to start getting maps and other info? Areas to seek out/avoid?

Many thanks.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Alaska Beta?

Post by Scott P »

The trip report below might give you some ideas:

http://www.summitpost.org/an-odyssey-th ... ska/747192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jmibarra
Trip Reports (9)

Post by jmibarra »

depends on what area you want to explore. my favorite is the kenai peninsula. just google it and you will find a lot of info. check out crow pass hike out of girdwood is a good one. or the one out of hope, resurrection. exit glacier is a good one too. your only problem is going to be which ones to choose from.
The goal isn't ski the mountains, nor to climb the mountains. Rather the goal is to be admitted by the mountain, to become one, to coexist. In those moments you will find peace, you will find happiness. In those moments you will find your reward.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

That's kinda what i was looking at--that or chugash or Denali NP. To give you an idea, I love multi-day backpacks in Sequoia Kings Canyon or Yosemite high country. Anything like that up there, where you can get some isolation and get high a little bit?
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Have you considered the Brooks Range? I have been twice and it is really wild. Once to the Arrigetch Peaks and once to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. There are outfitters that run trips there,you can look at their websites and get some ideas of what is out there and decide to join up or go on your own. There is the considerable cost of bush plane flights anytime you go into that area , just the way it is. I would love to go back again. Good luck!
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I found this since my last reply. What these guys did is way beyond what I did when I was there but it is a great trip report. I think that others might enjoy viewing this also.
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... _id=934069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

There have been other thread like this on here. All I can say is depending on time frame, pick a couple areas to check out and stick with that. You can't really go wrong in my opinion. We did 6 days in Denali and 4 in Seward. Unbelievable trip.

have a blast.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Lots of fun hikes on the Kenai Peninsula and vicinity

Here are those threads:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31498
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23351
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I started looking at late May.
Prices seem considerably higher this year.

---------- 2008 --- 2012
airfare $400 $650 (including camping luggague fees)
car $200 $300
gas $200 $200
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

I was in Alaska last June for a fishing trip (King&Sockeye Salmon and Halibut...awesome!). We did a fly in for a day in the Lake Clark Wilderness for Sockeye and Brown Bear Viewing...the flight was awesome, but the fishing was weak and no Bears.

Being bummed that we did not see any Brown Bears, we got a tip to drive near Cooper Landing on Hwy#1 to do a ~4 mile hike/walk in a state park on the Russian Falls Trail...at the end of the trail there is a creek overlook with a pool of, at that time of year, sockeye. Maybe 10 people had gathered, even bringing their lunches, to wait until a mama brown and her two cubs came for their bi-hourly feeding. My wife actually missed them the first time, so we came back two days later around 1pm again...and sure enough, they were there again.

Brown bear and cubs
Pic1.JPG
Pic1.JPG (179.56 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
And this time not two minutes after they left, a black bear came by for some scraps.

Black Bear
Pic2.JPG
Pic2.JPG (216.16 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
My other favorite thing was the Kenai Fjords Boat Tour...take the longer one that goes to Northwestern Glacier. We saw tons of wildlife...Humpbacks, Orcas, dolphins, seals, sea otters, etc. We also signed up for a similar tour via kayak...but the weather did not cooperate.

Breaching Humpback with Northwestern Glacier in background
Pic3.JPG
Pic3.JPG (191.17 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
I plan on returning for a closer examination of Denali in a few years...
Shawn
schrund
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I've been pre-occupied with Wrangell-St. Elias, "The largest U.S. national park, it equals 6 Yellowstones...http://www.nps.gov/wrst/index.htm

Here's a pic (yes it's real) from a trip a couple of years ago out along the Alaskan Penninsula
Attachments
bald eagle.jpg
bald eagle.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

schrund wrote:Here's a pic (yes it's real) from a trip a couple of years ago out along the Alaskan Penninsula
Sweet Pic! Lets see some Mt St Elias pics (if you don't mind....)
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?