Summit Camping and Lightning!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summit Camping and Lightning!

Post by myfeetrock »

sevenvii wrote:
myfeetrock wrote:You people lacking the spirit of adventure have no idea what it means to live. If I had the time to sleep on the summit of all the 14ers I would be there to.

I think thats going a little far. Maybe that is what you would qualify as what it means to live but just because some would choose to not want to sleep on the summit of every 14er doesnt mean they arent out there "living". If that were the case I could say this guy doesnt know what it means to live, unless he is bivying on a port a ledge on 5000ft walls with only a single cam holding him while dancing the macarena naked.
What I mean is anyone who criticized what the other guy is doing is because he thinks that person is not wise in the choice of things they may decide to do be it a night on a summit or a hike in the middle of nowhere in sub freezing temps or any of the crazy things people in this world have done that were told they have lost their minds all in the spirit of adventur or exploration or just to say " I did it", don't get it. People tell me all the time I am crazy for some of the stuff I do. Too many people talk trash about what others do only because they are afraid to do it. Do what you love to do as crazy as it may be, but don't knock the other guy for doing something they want to do. Say what you want, I have spoken my peace.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

myfeetrock wrote:...Too many people talk trash about what others do only because they are afraid to do it. Do what you love to do as crazy as it may be, but don't knock the other guy for doing something they want to do,
Right on, dude! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't think the idea is totally insane, given the right time of year. October through May seems rather reasonable, if you have a good bomb-proof (wind proof) tent.

I would never try such a feat in the summer season though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

edhaman wrote: (2) it was Kedrowski, not dubsho3000, who first brought up "belief systems" by mentioning his superstition about what happened.
Pardon the pun, but amen! The level at which people discuss their Judeo-Christian beliefs on this board with the assumption that most everyone else agrees or has the same beliefs is quite frustrating.

If you ask me, God didn't save him. Leaving metal conductors at the summit of the highest point around while he bailed to lower ground did the saving. If you believe that God is behind all of that, from the science behind conductivity to that guy's decision to high tail it to that, that's OK with me, I just don't believe it.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

atalarico wrote:The level at which people discuss their Judeo-Christian beliefs on this board with the assumption that most everyone else agrees or has the same beliefs is quite frustrating.
Never noticed myself!
Must keep you frustrated all night!
Good!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

atalarico wrote:The level at which people discuss their Judeo-Christian beliefs on this board with the assumption that most everyone else agrees or has the same beliefs is quite frustrating.
Do they assume that or is that your own personal assumption?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Jon Kedowski spoke on a book he wrote with Chris Tomer on his successful completion of 55 summit bivies at the Tattered Cover last Monday.
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Summits- ... 1565796527
He said it took 73 attempts over 95 days in 2011, some weather turn-arounds. A bivy was defined as a sunset plus sunrise. Even nearby peaks would have to be independent nights. Lots of pretty pictures and tips on climbing in bad weather.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Denver Post article about their efforts and book:

http://www.denverpost.com/outwest/ci_21 ... 4-000-foot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe they made up the lightning story? Werent they almost done with their adventure - and trying to write a book - needed "a little meat added to the bone" to get some sales? Just an idea...

I noticed in the description that it states "Dr. Jon Kedrowski and Meteorologist Chris Tomer slept on the summit of all 55 Colorado 14ers from sunset to sunrise in 95 days" but then states "Chris joined him for as many as his work schedule would allow."

So Chris didnt actually sleep on them all? Just wondering...

EDIT: the Denver Post article states "Actually, Tomer's job duties meant he could climb only 18 of those peaks with Kedrowski, although he participated by phone and text for the rest"

For some reason I just cant get excited about this book...
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

matt pierce wrote:Can I make a suggestion? Maybe they made up the lightning story? Werent they almost done with their adventure - and trying to write a book - needed "a little meat added to the bone" to get some sales? Just an idea...

I noticed in the description that it states "Dr. Jon Kedrowski and Meteorologist Chris Tomer slept on the summit of all 55 Colorado 14ers from sunset to sunrise in 95 days" but then states "Chris joined him for as many as his work schedule would allow."

So Chris didnt actually sleep on them all? Just wondering...

EDIT: the Denver Post article states "Actually, Tomer's job duties meant he could climb only 18 of those peaks with Kedrowski, although he participated by phone and text for the rest"

For some reason I just cant get excited about this book...
I'm with you. I don't get it either. And the 18 stat rubbed me wrong, too.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I thought it was funny that he "napped" on the other three named summits. I can understand not wanting to devote a whole night to Cameron, although it would be a better campsite than most summits.

What's next? Sleeping on all the county highpoints? I'll be really impressed when somebody overnights on all the 13er summits, especially Lizard Head.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump