Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Subaru Forester

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Subaru Forester

Postby kimo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

planet54 wrote:Does a Forester have tow hooks. I don't mind giving stuck vehicles a pull but anymore it seems that there is nothing to hook on to except plastic.

My '08 has a hook at each corner of the vehicle. Front and rear, one can be used for towing and other is for tie-down only. I wouldn't put significant load on either of the tow hooks, especially sideways. But a straight pull with the Forester driver giving throttle should be fine.

Drive it hard. Maintain it well. And it will last for years. I love my car.

Postby WI Lou » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:35 pm

I've had mine for about 15 months and love it. Decent gas mileage, performed admirably in the snow, slept comfortably in it many nights, and great for taking kids to college. You can remove the headrests, flatten down the seats and fit it a dorm -size futon frame. Plan to try it in CO in July.
Whatever your endeavor or dream, pursue it with determination, imagination, a positive attitude, a sense of wonder....with the heart of an explorer.

Michael Cohen at the conclusion of the Bancroft/Arnesen expedition

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 pm

For a long time I’ve noticed trailheads with various 4WDs plus some Subarus. They are a nice size, more rough road capable than most cars and available in a wagon. There have been various threads about the advantage of a vehicle you can sleep in.

Every vehicle is a compromise. We appreciate the 4WD capabilities of our Jeep, but it’s a more specialized vehicle. We’ll be driving the Caliber to Iowa next week.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Tony1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I considered the Forester as a more capable mountaineering vehicle when I was looking around. They're pretty cool, but the mpg isn't good for the type of car it is in my opinion. I also thought the older models looked kind of ugly... :-# The new ones look nice though! I actually settled on the Jeep Patriot, and I LOVE it. No concerns about the CVT transmission. It can be overrode with the autostick anyway, if need be.

But anyway, I hope you enjoy yours and have FUN! :)

Postby thebeave7 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 pm

planet54 wrote:Does a Forester have tow hooks. I don't mind giving stuck vehicles a pull but anymore it seems that there is nothing to hook on to except plastic.

I was actually looking into this a few years back and the answer is no. Sure there are places you can tie to the body, but not tow hitches stock. You can get a nicely rated tow hitch put on after-market, when I looked a few years ago it was going to cost around $500-700 parts/labor to get a real hitch put on the car. I wouldn't haul much unless you're getting the turbo model, the smaller engines aren't really designed for that.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby colorado yooper » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 pm

www.subaruforester.com

It's like 14ers for Scooby owners.
To the High Crags!

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:42 am

Still love my 04 XT after 150,000 miles. Its obviously not the most off road capable vehicle, but its better than a regular car without the mileage and on-road-fun penalties of a full on SUV.

And its ridiculously quick for a wagon.

Postby Steve Gio » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:56 am

If I wanted a 4x4 I would have got one. I just wanted to replace my VW which had lots of expensive problems over the last 5 years. I also wanted a manual transmition which RAV 4 does not offer. Strangely Forester does not offer manual with the turbo. I also think that if I wanted a Jeep I would get a Jeep, not a compass or a patriot as I don't like the boxy look. Just my opinion. I used to drive a Ford Ranger and in 4w low that thing handled some serious steep rocky crawls for me working on Sugarbush and Bolton mountains in VT. But here we drive, a lot, so we need more of a car with clearance. I miss the road performance and fun driving of the GTI but the Forester is a nice ride, has a great moonroof, and yes we can both sleep in it comfortably if need be. We will see where it will take us.

Postby birdsall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:45 pm

bought a 2010 new last January as my first "mountain car'. love it! roughing it in telluride.
Attachments
DSC00074.jpg
DSC00074.jpg (280.99 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Postby mtnview » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 pm

So has anyone taken their Forester up some of the harder 4x4 trailheads? How was the experience?

Matterhorn Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Nellie Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Baldwin Gulch - Antero
Lead King Basin - Snowmass

North Halfmoon Creek - Mt Massive - surprisingly I got my RAV4 up this one with some road maintenance
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby colorado yooper » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Baldwin Gulch- Fine, lots of side to side and use of the shorter turning radius touched bottom once or twice only one spot I was worried about due to steepness of some rock but the AWD did just fine getting traction.
Nellie Creek- Even easier- had some high water early in the season and could be nasty with lots of rain. Touched the bottom 1 time due to my error.
Made it to the 4wd at Handies (American Basin) too- river crossing was touch on the way out for the Suby but the poorly driven Toyota FJ had trouble too.
You may want to invest in a skid plate or make one like I did- www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/sf-forester-d-i-y-skid-plate-76025
For some reason I alway find myself passing Jeeps on these roads. Am I doing something wrong?
To the High Crags!

Postby Flips » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

mtnview wrote:So has anyone taken their Forester up some of the harder 4x4 trailheads? How was the experience?

Matterhorn Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Nellie Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Baldwin Gulch - Antero
Lead King Basin - Snowmass

North Halfmoon Creek - Mt Massive - surprisingly I got my RAV4 up this one with some road maintenance

I don't have a Forester but I've made it easily up all those except Lead King Basin (have not been there) in my 1997 Outback which is at 252K miles and counting. Went all the way up the 4WD to Handies too.

PreviousNext