Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Utah Canyoneering

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Utah Canyoneering

Postby Scott P » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Last weekend, the kids had a long weekend so we did some technical canyoneering in Utah.

We met with a group of others and completed Blarney, Arscenic and Basilisk Canyons. Arscenic was Shaylee's most difficult canyon to date and the 200 foot rappel was a record for both kids. There was much climbing, stemming and scrambling involved, but everyone had a blast. A full trip report will follow, but here are a few teaser photos.

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Utah Canyoneering

Postby skiwall » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Cute! Arscenic is one of my favs. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Brian C » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Very cool Scott. You need to get me out canyoneering! I've still never been... :(
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby nkan02 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby scramble » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm

nkan02 wrote:I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.

so jealous!!! :-D take lots of pics!

Postby mtgirl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:27 pm

nkan02 wrote:I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.

Rock of Ages is pretty cool, so are Tierdrop and Uturn. If you get some time for Elephant Butte (more of a 4th class climb than canyoneering), I'd highly recommend it. It has a rappel in the middle of the climbing route. GREAT views from the top.....the highpoint of Arches NP.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."