Mexican volcanoes (late Dec-mid Jan).

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snowclimber
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Mexican volcanoes (late Dec-mid Jan).

Post by Snowclimber »

I am currently planning on flying into Mexico City with one, maybe 2 others in the early December 20s of this year. I don't know what the exact timeframe is yet, but if you're open then and wish to do these peaks, give me a shout. We will be going unguided. I think only 2 of the 3 highest volcanoes are open to climbing right now.

Matt
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mexican volcanoes (late Dec-mid Jan).

Post by Gabriel »

I'll be in Puebla for 2 weeks around Christmas as usual, although not climbing this year. I know the area well if you need info.

G
idance7
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by idance7 »

is mexico city safe?
I lift my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth! He will not let your foot slip; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Psalm 121:1-3
Snowclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

No. Is Detroit safe? What about NYC? It's a hell of a lot safer than Juarez.
Snowclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

Gabriel wrote:I'll be in Puebla for 2 weeks around Christmas as usual, although not climbing this year. I know the area well if you need info.

G

Thanks. I may just ask you some things as it gets closer. How many peaks have you done there?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Check here before you go:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _5440.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last I checked with the State Dept, there were no travel advisories to NYC :P
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

One thing regarding safety in Mexico is that overall it's not that safe. The most dangerous areas are pretty much all located on the borders of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. where a lot of the drug lords are waging pretty much war and those areas are extremely dangerous. But at the same time, a lot of those drug cartel's have many people in the hugely populated city of Mexico City, so I would just say still be careful and use judgement on what you're wearing & watch out for pickpocketers.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

is mexico city safe?
Define "safe".

The murder rate in Mexico City is about 8.0 per 100,000 residents. By way of comparison, Denver is 6.5 and Washington DC is 31.4.

Mexico City has a slightly higher crime rate than Denver, but much lower than some other cities in the US (such as Washington DC and Detroit). Away from Mexico City, the crime rate in the surrounding countryside is significantly lower than in Denver.

Most of the crime in Mexico is currently in the border regions and yes, those regions are very dangerous statistically (far more so than even Washington DC). In places like the Yucatan, the crime and murder rates are much lower than most states in the US, including Colorado.

To answer the question above, if you consider Denver to be safe, then Mexico City is as well (crime wise). If you consider Denver to be dangerous, then Mexico City is as well. Personally I have and can visit either and have felt reasonably, but I would not live in either location. :wink:

Of course, when asking if Mexico City is safe, most people are thinking of crime, but the driving, riding in taxis or sometimes even on busses are what is far more dangerous. People don't drive as safe there as they do around here.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Snowclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

Here's a revised post. Also posting in Climbing Connection.

Hey,

Myself and my partner for this trip have tickets arriving in Mexico City on the 19th of December and leaving the 11th of January. We are planning to do all of the open volcanoes and some ruins and jungle exploration. We're looking for potential others to join for all or part of the expedition. We're looking for hardcore people who don't mind doing non-standard routes, traveling through non-tourist areas, or stealth camping in the Mexican countryside if need be. All self-guided, naturally.