Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jesse M » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Nice rijaca! Sweet pic, thanks!

Go AVS :)

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 am

I don't know the answer to this, and I apologize if it's already been asked (I haven't been following this thread) but does anyone know how many people attempt to summit a Colorado 14er each year? Thanks!

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 am

I've seen the numbers 500,000 and 750,000 in various places (like CFI). That sounds too high, though, as that would be an average of 10,000 per peak, spread mostly over a few dozen days in the summer. While Bierstadt, Grays, and a few others might get 250 people on a nice Saturday in the summer, most of the peaks get a tenth of that on their best days.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am

Jim Davies wrote:I've seen the numbers 500,000 and 750,000 in various places (like CFI). That sounds too high, though, as that would be an average of 10,000 per peak, spread mostly over a few dozen days in the summer. While Bierstadt, Grays, and a few others might get 250 people on a nice Saturday in the summer, most of the peaks get a tenth of that on their best days.

That sounds like a good number. If we figure about 100 days for the majority of peak bagging (sometime in June through sometime in September) divided into 750,000, we get 7,500 people a day. Divide that by 54 peaks and it averages 138 people a day, per peak. These are probably highly concentrated around the weekends, and on the easier peaks. It does seem high, but maybe the off-season climbers and high number of folks on peaks like Quandary make up the difference. Thanks Jim!

Postby rijaca » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 am

I used to think the 500,000 people per year was way high, but after climbing Grays/Torreys with 500 people this summer on a weekend day in July, and another 50 people on KC/Challenger on another July weekend day, I'm not so sure.

Torreys conga line.small.JPG
Torreys conga line.small.JPG (139.83 KiB) Viewed 827 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Drohrman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Evans is the subject of 2 triviata: 1. Two different places in different states used his name--Evanston, IL and Mt. Evans; and 2. He founded two Universities in those states--Northwestern, in Evanston and DU in Denver. For a guy born in Ohio, he got around.

Postby rijaca » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Drohrman wrote:Evans is the subject of 2 triviata: 1. Two different places in different states used his name--Evanston, IL and Mt. Evans; and 2. He founded two Universities in those states--Northwestern, in Evanston and DU in Denver. For a guy born in Ohio, he got around.

There are two Mt. Evans in Colorado.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:42 pm

colorado yooper wrote:Bierstadt was a painter. Tended to over dramatisize things a bit to sell the romantic appeal of the west to those out east.

One of his Estes Park paintings is owned by the Denver Public Library and is on display there. His landscapes were not over dramatized a bit, there were extremely exaggerated! He painted the Rockies to look like the Alps. That said I think his paintings are some of the most beautiful mountain scenes to be found anywhere.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:18 pm

rijaca wrote:I used to think the 500,000 people per year was way high, but after climbing Grays/Torreys with 500 people this summer on a weekend day in July, and another 50 people on KC/Challenger on another July weekend day, I'm not so sure.

If each 14er trail got 500 people every weekend day for the entire summer, that would be just a little over 500,000 climbers (considering that there are a number of doubles and triples like G&T). And of course most peaks don't get anywhere near that many (most would seem crowded if they got 50 on a nice day). So I don't think it sounds very plausible.

Of course, if you counted the people who drive or take the train up Pikes Peak you might easily get half a million. The summit concessionaire claims that 400 to 500 thousand tourists "visit" the peak every year, whatever that means.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby somethingrandom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:10 am

I thought the 500k would cover Bierstadt in a holiday weekend but if we wanna argue about it, haha.... Seriously, I have been part of a 50 person group heading up Sherman and damn if gaining the East Ridge of Bierstadt to a summit group of well over 100 wasnt sad, people really did wonder why we were carrying helmets....
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 am

somethingrandom wrote:I thought the 500k would cover Bierstadt in a holiday weekend but if we wanna argue about it, haha.... Seriously, I have been part of a 50 person group heading up Sherman and damn if gaining the East Ridge of Bierstadt to a summit group of well over 100 wasnt sad, people really did wonder why we were carrying helmets....

It's so hard to know what the real number might be. I've done Bierstadt in June with the hordes, and again in November when my group was the only one on the mountain. I did Sherman three times, and every time there was no one on the summit but my own group. Also did Kelso ridge to Torreys twice - both times in June - and the first time my buddy and I had the whole place to ourselves (including both Grays' and Torreys' summits) while the second time there were masses of people up there! Anyway, I needed the number for an article, and just wanted to know if I should write "thousands," "tens of thousands," or "hundreds of thousands" - so I think I have my answer! Thanks.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

I do some hiking patrols for the Forest Service in Vail and I have counted over 100 people on a 2 mile stretch of one of our popular local trails just in the time to slowly hike it while picking up trash and chatting with hikers, maybe 1 hour? You'd be surprised how uncrowded 100 people spread over 2 miles can feel. They are mostly in groups of 2-5 and with the trees and bends in the trail you usually don't see too many of them at once. Probably average 1 group every 2 minutes, which is frequent, but I think the top couple of hundred feet on some of the popular 14ers its much more frequent than that. I think having over 500 people on a popular 14er on a summer weekend would be quite common based on the ones I have done in summer.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

PreviousNext