aconcagua Nov 2011

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polishruben
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: aconcagua Nov 2011

Post by polishruben »

I indent to wear all of my layers, all the time :)
backpack - Altra 75
polishruben
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

Another question to folks who flew US - Santiago - Mendoza. How restrictive is the Agriculture Inspection at the airport ? Can you bring in Mountain Houses, Power bars, etc ?
What will for sure get confiscated ?
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I don't recall anything getting checked. I even brought back some cuban cigars upon the return trip through Santiago no problem. This was in '09'.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Hi, Lots of good info given already. Im gonna add some based on my experience.

I would keep layering as simple as possible. This is my setup for cold weather:

Baselayers: Patagonia Capilene 3 1/4zip top long sleeve and bottoms. I tried using a lighter layer under the Cap 3's but that added no warmth at all so I just use the Cap 3's which is awesome.

Pants: I have only hiked in my Mountain Hardwear Navigation softshell pants down to 15F and VERY windy weather and they worked perfectly. I recently got some OR Aspect pants that are burlier to test them out this winter. For Aconcagua I would add an insulated pant that has full zips like a First Ascent Igniter or Patagonia Micropuff. That should more than do.

Top layers:

Main Shell: First Ascent Frontpoint. Love the stand up collar (keeps cold out even when the hood is down) and the hybrid hard/softshell design. Breathes well and is basically water and wind proof. Pretty light but soft and tough and doesnt take that much space. A solid jacket that stops the wind is a must. A softshell might suffice. A Hood is a MUST.

Mid layer: I use a powerstretch fleece. an R1 might also be a good choice. I wouldnt go too heavy on this layer. Great for hike and camp. Think comfort.

Mid layer: This year I added a Arcteryx Atom LT to test out. Awesome piece for active use in cold weather, great design, fit and fabrics.

Down Parka: Outdoor Research Superplume Parka. AWESOME parka, has 320g of high quality down. Bomber. I would skimp on this. A warm parka is a must. You wont be hiking in this but for stops and camp it is gold. When one is tired this thing will keep you warm.

I havent mentioned many other needed items, just the main pieces but I would would love to have Down Booties for camp. I would consider them a necessity.

[ For the hike in I would just add some light nylon hiking pants and a very light wind jacket (many good options) and a very light baselyer top and bottom ]
polishruben
Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

Schrund, thanks for that info. I remember reading back 2 years ago, about control on the borders, that was a big sketchy, especially when taking the bus from Santiago to Mendoza. I recall ppl talked about airport tax of some kind, is that still the case ?
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

polishruben wrote:Schrund, thanks for that info. I remember reading back 2 years ago, about control on the borders, that was a big sketchy, especially when taking the bus from Santiago to Mendoza. I recall ppl talked about airport tax of some kind, is that still the case ?
    Argentina has $100 Entry tax, good for 10 years. Its a direct retort to an American fee to visitors.
    A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
    Gabriel
    14ers: 36 
    Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I checked my bags through to Mendoza so no problem in Santiago. They took a quick look into my bags in Mendoza, but nothing was confiscated. I had dehydrated food for the hike.

I really would not take much food if I were to go again. You can purchase everything you need in Mendoza or better just buy meals in Puenta Del Inca, Confluencia and Plaza De Mulas. The dining tents serve great meals and will pack lunches for a reasonable price. You can also hike to the hotel/restaurant near Mulas for a nice meal. Many people seem to plan for an expedition on Aconcagua when it really is not with all the services available.

Have fun,

G
    jmanner
    14ers: 58  28  10 
    13ers: 55 14 3
    Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Generally, what it is the realistic cost (flight included) of attempting Aconcagua? Be nice to have a round figure to save for, hoping to do it in another season or so [-o<.
    A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
    nmontelli
    14ers: 13  2 
    13ers: 4
    Trip Reports (5)

Post by nmontelli »

If you have all the gear, it is about 1500 for plane and hostels in Mendoza. Without gear, you could spend 3000 more for all the gear of you want to own it all. There are probably rental options for all of the big stuff like tents boots sleeping bags, etc.
    jbchalk
    14ers: 58 
    Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Excluding RT flight to Mendoza, in 2006 I spent around $800 for permit, mules, foof, fuel, transportation to/from mountain. I believe my flight was around $1400. I am sure everything has gone up and am prepared to pay more when my wife & I go back in a year.
    polishruben
    Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

there are ways to get this trip for really cheap ( like free RT flight to Mendoza from US - pm me if you want to know details. ). Then it is just the gear, transport and the permits. Since most of ppl wanting to hike / climb Acon, should have most of their gear already, the most expensive part of the trip would be the permit and transportation. Overall I think it will be my cheapest 7summiter. I hope to get by with ~$700 for everything.
    polishruben
    Trip Reports (2)

Post by polishruben »

just wanted to report that I got back safely from Aconcagua. I summit on the 24th.
    If you have questions about the peak, mules, city, hostels or such, just drop me a question, I've got all the freshest info and prices from this season!:)