If you want to have an off leash dog...

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gbusk
Trip Reports (0)

Re: If you want to have an off leash dog...

Post by gbusk »

Cheeseburgler, I hope you do not take that same attitude with your human children if you have any. :)
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Does anyone else find this last post rather disturbing? I’m hoping the author wrote it in jest or perhaps under the influence, since it was submitted at 2:42 am, but it was not highlighted in pink. So I’m assuming it was written in earnest and not with sarcasm.

As I’m not a dog owner, and for the most part do not wish to participate in any controversial thread, I’ve only glimpsed at this thread on spotty occasion, mostly for entertainment. I’ve accepted there are those people who love having dogs on the trails and those who don’t. I’ve also read good and logical comments by each camp.

But allow me to comment on a few quotes that bother me.
cheeseburglar wrote:I don't like my dogs well behaved.
I think this is fine and good as long as you and your dog are on your own personal property. If you feel this way anywhere else where other people or wildlife might be, I find this comment arrogant and disrespectful. It tells me you feel more important and have the right to do whatever you want without regard for anyone else.

That same logic carries over into other areas: “I feel I should be able to drive 60mph in a 25 mph school zone,” or “I should have the right to smoke wherever I want,” etc. etc. It tells me you feel you are above the law. You are the exception and nothing applies to you. It tells me you have no desire to want to listen to other options and have no room to negotiate or compromise.

Sadly, this mentality has taken over in so much of our society. This is why we see so much “road rage” on the highways and actually, everywhere else. The fact that so many people feel their way is the only way is stifling and polarizing to our society to the point of dysfunction. Case in point, look at the sad state of our Congress.
cheeseburglar wrote:If you are a wimp who gets scared of a dog running on a trail,
This again displays your total lack of respect. It dismisses anyone who may have had a traumatic experience with an animal, a serious allergy, or who simply wishes to experience nature as it truly is. To me this sounds like the language of a bully.

cheeseburglar wrote:what will you do when you meet a wild animal?
Guess you’d better hope you don’t meet a dog hater on the trail packing pepper spray, or worse, packing heat!
cheeseburglar wrote:You probably just don't know how to interact with our better halfs.
This may be more truthful and revealing than you intended.
cheeseburglar wrote:Still waiting to get that ticket for an unleashed dog... and my day to challenge the law in court.
With an attitude like that, you may not have much longer to wait.

With peace and respect, I’ll get down off the soapbox now. Carry on!
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

Last summer I shot three off leash dogs. One had just killed a marmot and became aggresive towards me when I approached on the trail. The irrespsonsible owner was shocked, but took no responsibility for the dogs behavior. The other two were on my property and chasing llamas. Having a dog is a big responsibility.

G
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

Gabriel wrote:Last summer I shot three off leash dogs. One had just killed a marmot and became aggresive towards me when I approached on the trail. The irrespsonsible owner was shocked, but took no responsibility for the dogs behavior. The other two were on my property and chasing llamas. Having a dog is a big responsibility.

G
What does "became aggressive" mean? It growled at you? Barked? And you shot it for that?! Unless it means it was a killer, rabid dog trying to rip your throat out, I'd say you overreacted, and are indeed a jerkoff. You're lucky the owner didn't put you down. Idiot.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Ridiculous post by Gabriel. There are definitely some aholes out there.
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

Dex wrote:
cwm191 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Last summer I shot three off leash dogs. One had just killed a marmot and became aggresive towards me when I approached on the trail. The irrespsonsible owner was shocked, but took no responsibility for the dogs behavior. The other two were on my property and chasing llamas. Having a dog is a big responsibility.

G
What does "became aggressive" mean? It growled at you? Barked? And you shot it for that?! Unless it means it was a killer, rabid dog trying to rip your throat out, I'd say you overreacted, and are indeed a jerkoff. You're lucky the owner didn't put you down. Idiot.
I'm curious as to your the criteria as to when it is appropriate to shoot a dog in self defense - distance (take into consideration the time needed to take out the gun, aim and fire), behavior of the dog, other criteria.
Using a standard escalation of force model, the dog would have to present a serious threat of bodily harm to justify shooting it. If Gabriel was actually fearful of serious harm being done by this dog, then he was perhaps justified in shooting. However, his account merely said the dog became aggressive, not that it attacked him and he did what he felt he had to. Rereading my post, I was indeed too harsh on him, but the straightforward wording of his post came across as someone bragging about shooting dogs.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
jameseroni
Trip Reports (11)

Post by jameseroni »

MtnHub wrote:Does anyone else find this last post rather disturbing? I’m hoping the author wrote it in jest or perhaps under the influence, since it was submitted at 2:42 am, but it was not highlighted in pink. So I’m assuming it was written in earnest and not with sarcasm.

As I’m not a dog owner, and for the most part do not wish to participate in any controversial thread, I’ve only glimpsed at this thread on spotty occasion, mostly for entertainment. I’ve accepted there are those people who love having dogs on the trails and those who don’t. I’ve also read good and logical comments by each camp.

But allow me to comment on a few quotes that bother me.
cheeseburglar wrote:I don't like my dogs well behaved.
I think this is fine and good as long as you and your dog are on your own personal property. If you feel this way anywhere else where other people or wildlife might be, I find this comment arrogant and disrespectful. It tells me you feel more important and have the right to do whatever you want without regard for anyone else.

That same logic carries over into other areas: “I feel I should be able to drive 60mph in a 25 mph school zone,” or “I should have the right to smoke wherever I want,” etc. etc. It tells me you feel you are above the law. You are the exception and nothing applies to you. It tells me you have no desire to want to listen to other options and have no room to negotiate or compromise.

Sadly, this mentality has taken over in so much of our society. This is why we see so much “road rage” on the highways and actually, everywhere else. The fact that so many people feel their way is the only way is stifling and polarizing to our society to the point of dysfunction. Case in point, look at the sad state of our Congress.
cheeseburglar wrote:If you are a wimp who gets scared of a dog running on a trail,
This again displays your total lack of respect. It dismisses anyone who may have had a traumatic experience with an animal, a serious allergy, or who simply wishes to experience nature as it truly is. To me this sounds like the language of a bully.

cheeseburglar wrote:what will you do when you meet a wild animal?
Guess you’d better hope you don’t meet a dog hater on the trail packing pepper spray, or worse, packing heat!
cheeseburglar wrote:You probably just don't know how to interact with our better halfs.
This may be more truthful and revealing than you intended.
cheeseburglar wrote:Still waiting to get that ticket for an unleashed dog... and my day to challenge the law in court.
With an attitude like that, you may not have much longer to wait.

With peace and respect, I’ll get down off the soapbox now. Carry on!
+1 man! Thank for the lack of emotionalism and presence of reason!
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

G
I don't believe you. I call liar liar pants on fire.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
gcoldewey
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gcoldewey »

Back when I did alot of bird hunting we used e-collars to train the dogs with great success and to save their lives. Not only did we use it to train them to obey when they would prefer to chase birds, deer or whatever, we used the collars to train them to avoid the south texas rattlesnakes. The last part was unpleasant for them, but preferable to a snake bite. The technique is to capture and cage some rattlesnakes and put them out in the brush and then lead the dogs nearby. Their natural curiosity and noses would lead them directly to the snakes, and when the snakes would rattle and strike we applied a high seting shock to the dog. After doing this about twice the dogs would associate the pain with a snake and avoid any snake in the future. Prior to doing this we had lost dogs to snakebites but none after we started this trainng. E-collars are an effective tool and can be used humanely.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

moneymike wrote:Image
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 93#p389205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink: