Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Post by peter303 »

Some of the smart phones could given the SAR rangers coordinates.

I've heard this a number of times in SAR reviews. There is an initial phone contact, but unclear location.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

peter303 wrote:Some of the smart phones could given the SAR rangers coordinates.

I've heard this a number of times in SAR reviews. There is an initial phone contact, but unclear location.
Which phones/apps are these? I'm looking to buy a new phone soon, and this is something I would definitely be interested in! :D
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

^^ I think he means the phones with a built in GPS receiver. As for apps, there are a dozens of them on the market that gives coordinates using these GPS receivers.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

chrismjx wrote:Which phones/apps are these? I'm looking to buy a new phone soon, and this is something I would definitely be interested in! :D
There are no apps needed, actually. This article explains a little about how rescuers can use cell signals to locate lost hikers.
chrismjx
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

Ah, ok, thanks for the link to the Backpacker article! That's kind of what I always thought would happen in one of these cases, but I guess I was imagining like a SPOT app or something, ha ha! I guess this would be my solution for now: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can update facebook and twitter from the BC!!! Oh, how many times I have found myself wishing I could do that... :YY
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The backpacker article over values the coordinates that phones provide. They usually only provide 3 decimal accuracy which is about a radius of 500 feet. The other problem is we have no idea when the phone actually acquired it's last coordinates. The phone will transmit coordinates based on the last fix it had. So if you turn your phone off at home and carry it with you on a hike. Then if you turn it on make a quick call and turn it off again, odds are we'll just get the coordinates for your house. SAR will of course look into any location given. Current phone models are better at acquiring signals faster but they also make it easier for the users to turn the GPS off to save batteries. Another issue is getting those coordinates from the phone company. They don't like to give out that information without the Sheriff getting involved and even then it can be a difficult process. The apps can be very helpful in you finding out your coordinates and if you can use the phone to tell SAR your coordinates that can greatly speed up a rescue. In questionable service the best advice is to create a text message with your situation and coordinates and send it to a number of people. Making a call requires a much stronger signal than sending a text message, plus your phone will send it for you as soon as it has strong enough service rather than you doing the "can you hear me now" routine.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

If you were familiar with SW Missouri, the Branson part would explain so much. Glad he was found safe.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

chrismjx wrote:Ah, ok, thanks for the link to the Backpacker article! That's kind of what I always thought would happen in one of these cases, but I guess I was imagining like a SPOT app or something, ha ha! I guess this would be my solution for now: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can update facebook and twitter from the BC!!! Oh, how many times I have found myself wishing I could do that... :YY

I use this all the time! You just hit the "I'm ok" button and then FB gets your real time coordinates. Makes it easy to keep friends in the know.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Robzilla wrote:If you were familiar with SW Missouri, the Branson part would explain so much. Glad he was found safe.
Heh.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

About the App-coordinates thing, youre expecting a phone to give you exact coordinates in a deep gorge? I wouldnt bet my life on it. Look, I know you all own those trails illustrated maps, why not learn to use the UTM grid they so graciously give you and text SAR some real coordinates you can rely on regardless of what your phone says.

And hey, it might come in handy when you dont get service...
chrismjx
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

ChrisRoberts wrote:About the App-coordinates thing, youre expecting a phone to give you exact coordinates in a deep gorge? I wouldnt bet my life on it. Look, I know you all own those trails illustrated maps, why not learn to use the UTM grid they so graciously give you and text SAR some real coordinates you can rely on regardless of what your phone says.

And hey, it might come in handy when you dont get service...
How are we supposed to send SAR coordinates if we don't get service in that gorge? Just saying... :P
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

chrismjx wrote:How are we supposed to send SAR coordinates if we don't get service in that gorge? Just saying... :P
I guess my point is having the correct coordinates in the first place should be priority. Plus that skill doesnt need batteries or service.

What was this guys deal anyways? He was out of state and didnt know the area? I know a lot of people(read:tourists) get lost near Lake Haiyaha since the trail is a little weird, but nobody ever seems to get lost above the lake.