Buckskin Gulch...Utah????

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wisco14er
14ers: 58 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Buckskin Gulch...Utah????

Post by Wisco14er »

Planning a trip to the Buckskin Gulch in Nov....anyone know what the water levels are generally at around that time of year....I know it gets cold so i want to make sure i am extra prepared...any info on the canyon would be welcomed. Safe travels
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Buckskin Gulch...Utah????

Post by Scott P »

It varies so much from year to year that it's impossible to generalize. Right now most canyons in the area are pretty wet.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
2giqs
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

You could monitor or jump into this thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread. ... tober-2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

We did this a couple of years ago in mid May. We had nice weather then, but there were several spots of smelly, stagnant water you must wade through (up to mid-thigh or so), muddy sections, and that one short rappel down the boulder-jam, so I'd wear appropriate, maybe disposable, shoes. There was an old rope left at the down-climb, but have no idea if anything is still there or its condition. Beautiful, long canyon hike, though.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I did Buckskin Gulch from the Wire Pass Trailhead to the White House Trailhead - about 21 miles - in a long day trip in May about 3 years ago. Beautiful, but as the previous poster mentioned, there was lots of pools of muddy water to bypass (perhaps 20-25 of them.....up to waist deep). Feet definitely take a beating being wet and muddy for a long period of time - so plan your footwear accordingly. Water and mud levels change drastically though, and I don't have current conditions. Bogley.com is a good forum to watch and post some questions.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

I did it late last November and it was dry
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.