Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

Postby jbealer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 pm

TheOtherIndian wrote:I suggest you run away while you can. These 14ers.com mafia and REI mafia will drain your wallet, make you wake up at 3 in the morning, drive long hours all to strain yourself on a pile of rocks! :lol:

But if you choose to ignore my advice, have fun! This is a great place!

i wish someone would have told me that 3yrs ago ;) :lol:

i started on the 13ers and i love being away from everyone, i did 5 14ers this yr and they were the most packed trails i have ever been on. i just about ran down from grays and torreys to get away from all the people. but that being said i now want to try and get all the 14ers in CO. i don't care how long it takes me but i want to do it. so welcome and enjoy the new adventure!

Postby Gabriel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Welcome: the good news , the fourteeners are everymans mountains. Just come out and summit. No need for climbing/ mountaineering skills. Just one foot infront of the other.

Have fun

G

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 pm

jbealer wrote:
TheOtherIndian wrote:I suggest you run away while you can. These 14ers.com mafia and REI mafia will drain your wallet, make you wake up at 3 in the morning, drive long hours all to strain yourself on a pile of rocks! :lol:

But if you choose to ignore my advice, have fun! This is a great place!

i wish someone would have told me that 3yrs ago ;) :lol:

i started on the 13ers and i love being away from everyone, i did 5 14ers this yr and they were the most packed trails i have ever been on. i just about ran down from grays and torreys to get away from all the people. but that being said i now want to try and get all the 14ers in CO. i don't care how long it takes me but i want to do it. so welcome and enjoy the new adventure!

i'm so glad i'm finishing the "close to Denver" mountains this year. I can't wait for less people are harder obstacles. however, one of my favorite things about these 14ers is how awesome everyone is on the trail. i've met some great people!

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 pm

The most important piece of gear is....YOU. Fully training your mind and body is the best way to get up a mountain efficiently. Reading trip reports, studying the routes from this site and guidebooks, and immersing yourself in the culture of mountains is the best training for your mind. Training your body year round, especially trail running, mountain/road biking, endurance lifting, and of course, climbing, will make you a stud in the mountains. Being in really great shape also makes the mountains feel a little smaller than they really are, as does being able to climb them really fast.

Start with the easier hikes/climbs, then work your way up from there. :)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Just remember that there is a lot of wilderness out there. Don't focus too too much on the peaks that you miss all that surrounds them.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, you're way ahead of me. I had no idea I wanted to climb them all till I was more than halfway done. :roll:

:lol:

My 2c - start at the bottom and go up:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksrall.php

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

:D

Postby reinselc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 am

Yeah this May was certainly not free of avalanches.

I would not do much except Quandry and other 100% safe no avy peaks in May if I didn't know what I was doing. Be Safe!

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 am

regard May:

I guess I was imprecise about that. In my mind I was thinking about Memorial Day Weekend as the opening weekend of safer hiking.
In most years, early May is still dangerous. Some drought years it can be free of snow like early 2000s.
And this year was one of the latest snow years ever with snow hanging around into July.

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:15 am

Mel McKinney wrote:Ah, ha... I wondered if the photo was pre or post-hike. :D

That was pre Sneffles (or pre gilpin attempt).. Still smiling though after Sneffles. But here is the picture I took that night alone in the Uncompaghre wildnerness, a little different disposition. I actually took this thinking it may be the last self portrait ( a little dramatic but my mind was drained. Ha)

OP - Take maps and know how to use them!!
Attachments
ty.jpg
ty.jpg (27.2 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Climb up Pints down

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 am

Tyler: Scary situation. I would have been wondering what the night held for me too. Glad you got back safe & sound!

OP: Look out for summit fever! Had a situation a few summers ago where innocuous clouds turned to grapple and a forming storm just on the other side of the peak we were descending. Luckily it dissipated but would have continued to pass over us if it hadn't. I've turned around before and since, but I used bad judgement that day.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby eagrnnr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Be careful. Never think that the forecasts are 100% correct. 30 MPH winds on Longs by butt! I ran into 60+ at the Keyhole and had to turn around. Conditions just weren't safe enough for us. Always be willing to turn around. The mountain will be there next weekend! Always have a knife and rain gear, as well as some thinner gloves, cause sometimes your hands will get cold!

Also, never eat yellow snow, bring kleenex to use as TP, have fun, and read Oman's book "Halfway to Heaven" to get a good idea on what summit fever can do to people. (Chapter with Sunshine and Redcloud). Also, buy like, 3 copies of 14ers by Roach, one for the trail, 1 for the house, and 1 for backup.

Postby edhaman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 pm

I've been waiting for someone else to say it, but no one has. The OP included the comment "I have no fear." Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Once you've spent a fair amount of time in the backcountry, you will have some fear; and it's a good thing.

PreviousNext