Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for new area outside of RMNP

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Looking for new area outside of RMNP

Postby hskrhiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

I have been hiking in RMNP for 30 years and have finally decided to go to some other part of Colorado (I know...why so soon?) I would like to do about 6-7 hikes next Summer that would mostly include 14ers. I would love to get some information pertaining to:

1. What peaks to do.
2. What town to stay in.
3. What specific resort to stay at. I would prefer a cabin that is surrounded by solitude but yet has all the goodies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Looking for new area outside of RMNP

Postby sgladbach » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 pm

hskrhiker wrote:I have been hiking in RMNP for 30 years and have finally decided to go to some other part of Colorado (I know...why so soon?) I would like to do about 6-7 hikes next Summer that would mostly include 14ers. I would love to get some information pertaining to:

1. What peaks to do. (In order of difficulty) Handies , Uncompahgre , Sunshine & Redcloud, San Luis (allow one hour to drive to the Equity Mine TH), Wetterhorn.
*Note: All COULD be done w/ a sedan, but a moderate 4WD will shorten wetterhorn, Uncompahgre, and (if you use the American Basin TH) Handies.

2. What town to stay in. Lake City
3. What specific resort to stay at. I would prefer a cabin that is surrounded by solitude but yet has all the goodies. Here's the whole list. Don't know your budget, but Castle Lakes or Silver Coin may fit the bill. When the kids are along, I like to tent camp in a commercial CG and Castle Lakes has been nice (among others.)

Additional stuff in the area: Theatre in Creede, Mine tour along Cinamon pass Road, mineral/Gem hunting at old mine by Creede.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Summit County (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillion, Copper) is one centrally located place. I estimate about 11 14ers within an hour.

Leadville is another centrally located place with about 15 14ers within an hour. But it can get somewhat full the end of July to mid August with all the race events there.

Postby MtHurd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:18 pm

sgladbach wrote:
hskrhiker wrote:I have been hiking in RMNP for 30 years and have finally decided to go to some other part of Colorado (I know...why so soon?) I would like to do about 6-7 hikes next Summer that would mostly include 14ers. I would love to get some information pertaining to:

1. What peaks to do. (In order of difficulty) Handies , Uncompahgre , Sunshine & Redcloud, San Luis (allow one hour to drive to the Equity Mine TH), Wetterhorn.
*Note: All COULD be done w/ a sedan, but a moderate 4WD will shorten wetterhorn, Uncompahgre, and (if you use the American Basin TH) Handies.

2. What town to stay in. Lake City
3. What specific resort to stay at. I would prefer a cabin that is surrounded by solitude but yet has all the goodies. Here's the whole list. Don't know your budget, but Castle Lakes or Silver Coin may fit the bill. When the kids are along, I like to tent camp in a commercial CG and Castle Lakes has been nice (among others.)

Additional stuff in the area: Theatre in Creede, Mine tour along Cinamon pass Road, mineral/Gem hunting at old mine by Creede.

+1000

Since your requirements leave a non-14er hike in the realm of possibility, Ice Lakes Basin is a fantastic day hike. It would require a 4x4 from Lake City or a long drive from Lake City to get to the trailhead near Silverton.