Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Newbie here. I want to climb them all!

Postby centrifuge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:35 am

So, for the 'list' thing. I wish I had listened to people when they started telling me to take the 'lists' with a grain of salt. They become constraining if you focus too much on them. There are a lot of amazing 13k and 12k mountains as well that are well worth your time and will have you in much more secluded and sometimes much more beautiful places.

forbins_mtn wrote:I started this year too - and I can truly say it's addicting. I had the goal of doing all the Front Range mountains this year and I'm two short. but Evans on Sunday and Quandary over Halloween weekend for the 14ers.com Winter Welcoming will complete them.

But I'll be honest: what are the 10 essentials? I'm sure I have them, but I've never seen a list. Good luck OP with your adventure! It's so amazing to be on top of a peak. So pretty, so peaceful, and so exhilerati

Map
Compass (a GPS should NOT replace having a real compass)
Sunglasses and sunscreen
Extra food and water
Extra clothes
Headlamp/flashlight
First aid kit
Fire starter
Matches
Knife

Thats the classic, but there are other lists as well. Some combine things like Map/Compass and add shelter. The idea is to make sure you are prepared for as much as possible, and that you have what you need to spend the night in the wilderness if need be. During the summer, that list could do it. During the winter, which is coming fast, this is no where near complete.

Aside from just reading things on this site, its worth while to pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills http://www.rei.com/product/811865/mountaineering-the-freedom-of-the-hills-8th-edition, and take the time to read it. There is info in that book that would be difficult to glean from what people here talk about, and it will help you learn good habits now, and make it so you always love the mountains.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 am

you see? i carry all those things, and have since the first hike. i have just never seen them in a list.

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:13 am

Matt Lemke wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:I started this year too - and I can truly say it's addicting. I had the goal of doing all the Front Range mountains this year and I'm two short. but Evans on Sunday and Quandary over Halloween weekend for the 14ers.com Winter Welcoming will complete them.

But I'll be honest: what are the 10 essentials? I'm sure I have them, but I've never seen a list. Good luck OP with your adventure! It's so amazing to be on top of a peak. So pretty, so peaceful, and so exhilerati

Quandary is in the Tenmile Range... :wink:

yeah, yeah yeah....and the Lincoln Group/Sherman are in the Mosquito range. I should have said my goal was to get every peak that's within a few hours of Denver done. Next year it's onto taking long weekends and rocking the big boys! SO pumped

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:18 am

I have nothing to add.
Welcome, good luck, and have fun!
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 am

My advice is to be prepared to make some dumb mistakes. My FIRST (and not last) mistake was riding my dirtbike from Durango to Ouray at 3.30am summiting Sneffles at Dawn(ish), then riding my dbike on the Alpine loop to the outskirts of lake city to summit wetterhorn. VERY, VERY long day (riding, hiking, summitting riding, hiking, summiting, hiking). My brain and body were done. I ended up descending down the wrong face of Wetterhorn and ending up in some crazy basin, super lost and I had to spend the night in the wilderness with nothing but my daypack, headlamp, lighter and bandana (in mid AUGUST and full on bear/lion season). The next morning (after the longest, coldest, scariest night of my life), I backtracked my steps and eventually found my way back to my dbike. That bath and beer never felt and tasted so good when I got back to DGO. I had only been in CO for a few months. TAKE YOUR time and get comfortable with these peaks and wilderness areas and don't push too hard. Have fun and remember why you are out here... You have your whole life to do this stuff, but ONE bad decision can cut that life short. This place is beautiful but it's no joke. Learn as much as you can from these trip reports and don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the adventure!!

* oh yeah and when i took this picture I thought this peak behind me was Sneffles (got to the saddle and realized this was WAYYY too hard and turned back), ran into some people and they told me of my mistake. It was gilpin peak. HA. man, i've learned alot since 2007. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
22436_1314932283335_1531534805_30817693_6992926_n.jpg
22436_1314932283335_1531534805_30817693_6992926_n.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Climb up Pints down

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:05 am

I suggest starting in May(?) when the snow may have melted enough so you dont have to worry about
avalanches and ice right away. You'll learn how deal with those in due time.
Then do some the 'easier" ones close to Denver first: Evans (summit lake), Sherman, Quandry, Grays, Democrat, Bierstadt.
The other [dis]advantage of these easier mountains is they have easy to find trails with lots of people on them. Help if you get into trouble.
After couple of those can progress to some of the longer mountains near Leadville and Buena Vista.
And next year to more challenging ones in the Christos, Elks and San Juans.

In the meantime, play in the mountains as much as you can. Go skiing and snowshoeing. Visit Rocky Mountain National Park,
Brainard Lake, Winter Park etc, all winter spots. It will take about two months for you body to add more blood cells to equal
your peak athletic performance at sea level. By May you'll be ready.
Last edited by peter303 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheOtherIndian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 am

I suggest you run away while you can. These 14ers.com mafia and REI mafia will drain your wallet, make you wake up at 3 in the morning, drive long hours all to strain yourself on a pile of rocks! :lol:

But if you choose to ignore my advice, have fun! This is a great place!
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby climbingcue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 am

I am also a Newbie on this site. I am from NJ (570ft above sea level)and did my 1st 14er back in August 1999 and it was Mt Elbert. My Aunt bought a house in Kremmling Colorado in December of 2010 and it has been redone. I was out there for 10 days last week. I wanted to do a hike so on 10/5/11 I hiked to 14,000 feet for the 1st time in about 12 years. (Grays and Torreys Peaks). Now that I have a place to stay, I be heading to Colorado evey year now and will plan to do a couple of 14ers everytime I make it out there. Next trip will be for 2-3 weeks in August of 2012. A little more about me. I don't do much hiking, but I am a CAT2 road racer and ride 8,000 miles a year. Mt Evans and Pikes Peak are on my list to cycle up them when I have the chance.
Here is my Garmin Data from my hike on 10/5/11
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120259356

Bill

Postby gdthomas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 am

climbingcue wrote:I am also a Newbie on this site. I am from NJ (570ft above sea level)and did my 1st 14er back in August 1999 and it was Mt Elbert. My Aunt bought a house in Kremmling Colorado in December of 2010 and it has been redone. I was out there for 10 days last week. I wanted to do a hike so on 10/5/11 I hiked to 14,000 feet for the 1st time in about 12 years. (Grays and Torreys Peaks). Now that I have a place to stay, I be heading to Colorado evey year now and will plan to do a couple of 14ers everytime I make it out there. Next trip will be for 2-3 weeks in August of 2012. A little more about me. I don't do much hiking, but I am a CAT2 road racer and ride 8,000 miles a year. Mt Evans and Pikes Peak are on my list to cycle up them when I have the chance.

Bill

Do you have a question Bill?

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:04 am

Ah, ha... I wondered if the photo was pre or post-hike. :D

GeorgiaTyler wrote:My advice is to be prepared to make some dumb mistakes. My FIRST (and not last) mistake was riding my dirtbike from Durango to Ouray at 3.30am summiting Sneffles at Dawn(ish), then riding my dbike on the Alpine loop to the outskirts of lake city to summit wetterhorn. VERY, VERY long day (riding, hiking, summitting riding, hiking, summiting, hiking). My brain and body were done. I ended up descending down the wrong face of Wetterhorn and ending up in some crazy basin, super lost and I had to spend the night in the wilderness with nothing but my daypack, headlamp, lighter and bandana (in mid AUGUST and full on bear/lion season). The next morning (after the longest, coldest, scariest night of my life), I backtracked my steps and eventually found my way back to my dbike. That bath and beer never felt and tasted so good when I got back to DGO. I had only been in CO for a few months. TAKE YOUR time and get comfortable with these peaks and wilderness areas and don't push too hard. Have fun and remember why you are out here... You have your whole life to do this stuff, but ONE bad decision can cut that life short. This place is beautiful but it's no joke. Learn as much as you can from these trip reports and don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the adventure!!

* oh yeah and when i took this picture I thought this peak behind me was Sneffles (got to the saddle and realized this was WAYYY too hard and turned back), ran into some people and they told me of my mistake. It was gilpin peak. HA. man, i've learned alot since 2007. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby centrifuge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 am

peter303 wrote:I suggest starting in May(?) when the snow may have melted enough so you dont have to worry about
avalanches and ice right away. You'll learn how deal with those in due time.

I would just like to mention that May is by no means avalanche safe. I am in no way trying to throw an avalanche boogey man out there, but while its not the most active month for big slab avalanches, there is significant slide activity in May, and a 1 foot deep wet slab can kill or seriously hurt you. In May of this year, the CAIC listed 48 observed avalanches listed in the Field reports section of the website, and one fatality. I can tell you I have been out in May and have seen some of the most prolific slide activity I have seen. The snow tends to be more stable by early to mid May, but that is not always the case. This year the snow pack was terrible in May (with the exception of the Sangres). If you are going to be climbing on snow (which in May you will certainly be doing), you should probably have the ability to at least analyze the snow slopes you are crossing so that you can determine if they are safe or not. Or you need to be with someone who has those skills.

Like I said, I dont mean to be a Donny Downer, but that’s something that I just couldn’t let go without saying something. :D
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby climbingcue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 am

gdthomas wrote:
climbingcue wrote:I am also a Newbie on this site. I am from NJ (570ft above sea level)and did my 1st 14er back in August 1999 and it was Mt Elbert. My Aunt bought a house in Kremmling Colorado in December of 2010 and it has been redone. I was out there for 10 days last week. I wanted to do a hike so on 10/5/11 I hiked to 14,000 feet for the 1st time in about 12 years. (Grays and Torreys Peaks). Now that I have a place to stay, I be heading to Colorado evey year now and will plan to do a couple of 14ers everytime I make it out there. Next trip will be for 2-3 weeks in August of 2012. A little more about me. I don't do much hiking, but I am a CAT2 road racer and ride 8,000 miles a year. Mt Evans and Pikes Peak are on my list to cycle up them when I have the chance.

Bill

Do you have a question Bill?

Not right now since I am back in NJ and will not be back out to hike more 14ers until next year, I really just wanted to join the site so I can keep updated... I am really looking forward to heading back out. I would like to do Mt. Princeton the next time I am out there since that is the town I was born in.

Bill

PreviousNext