Cool Destinations in Indian Peaks Wilderness

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kweeks
14ers: 27 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Cool Destinations in Indian Peaks Wilderness

Post by kweeks »

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if you had any advice for neat places to go in the Indian Peaks wilderness area? We aren't looking for anything too long, just a day hike or so. Any quick peaks or lakes that are worth a visit?

Thanks!
The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even ask.
runnerofmountain
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cool Destinations in Indian Peaks Wilderness

Post by runnerofmountain »

I'm sorry if this question is dumb or redundant, but with it being the main feeding season of bears don't you worry about being eaten or mauled?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

runnerofmountain wrote:I'm sorry if this question is dumb or redundant, but with it being the main feeding season of bears don't you worry about being eaten or mauled?
:-s

The Brainard lake area is pretty good with easy and short access to Audubon and Paiute (~7 miles from Mitchell Lake TH), Pawnee Peak and several other easier 12ers.

I talked to the ranger district this morning and they do not have plans to close Brainard Lake road this weekend unless the snow storm is worse than expected.

Lake Isabelle is a very worthy hike as well, but most of the peaks in that cirque require 3rd class at a minimum.
Make wilderness less accessible.
thefirststraw
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thefirststraw »

You have to check out Isabelle Glacier it's a few more hours hiking but totally worth it! Great close up views of Toll Apache Shoshone etc.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

thefirststraw wrote:You have to check out Isabelle Glacier it's a few more hours hiking but totally worth it! Great close up views of Toll Apache Shoshone etc.
I agree that the Lake Isabelle drainage is worth checking out for it's views of Navajo, Apache, and Shoshone (Long Lake TH), but you'll have better views of Toll from the Blue Lakes drainage (Mitchell Lake TH). These THs can be reached from Brainard Lake, near Ward.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Brainard Lake area is great and easy to access from the east side. Unfortunately you have to pay to get in ($10) unless you get there early. Also, there are some excellent hikes from the Fourth of July TH near Eldora, although there is a fairly long dirt road to get to it which is passable by passenger cars but 4WD is recommended.

My favorite hike in the IPW is to the Lone Eagle Cirque from Monarch Lake (near Granby). The hike is about 14 miles and ~2,000' elevation gain. You pass several excellent waterfalls along the way and the Lone Eagle Cirque is simply incredible. You can access it from the east side but it is longer (~20 miles) and requires a double crossing of the Continental Divide. Here's my TR from a couple years ago from Monarch Lake TH:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6636

+1 on Isabelle Glacier....gorgeous area and fun to explore.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

If it is your first time there, I'd recommend hiking Mt. Audubon. Pawnee Peak is also a cool hike and has amazing views of the west side of Pawnee Pass.

BTW, if you are a frequent visitor to federal lands you can get the America the Beautiful Annual Pass which gets you access to all of the national parks and wilderness areas (including Indian Peaks) for $80. If you are a frequent visitor that means you can save some money over the year (one visit to RMNP is $20). I live in Boulder, so I use mine a lot when I go to the Indian Peaks and RMNP.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

BTW, the fee to access Brainard Lake has been discontinued for the season.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
mbrow124
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbrow124 »

best spot hands down in Indian peaks possibly the state, is lone eagle peak at crater lake, absolutley amazing hike with water falls all the way in, access through monarch lake TH by Grandby I dont know how to attach photos but google it and you will be amazed
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Agree about Lone Eagle Peak area...just ridiculously beautiful. Also love the Arapahoe Peaks area as well.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Last year mid to late October from the summit of Pawnee Peak Looking towards Mt. Toll and Audobon. This one is a great one for good views in both directions. An easy hike too. Sounds like there will be more snow up there this year. Check to make sure the road to the trailhead is open before you go. Sometimes they close it earlier in the Fall if the snow is heavy.

Audubon and Toll from Pawnee.

Looking the other direction towards Shoshoni and Apache.

Shoshoni as you hike up the trail towards Pawnee Pass.

Lake Isabelle from the trail.

TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

thefirststraw wrote:You have to check out Isabelle Glacier it's a few more hours hiking but totally worth it! Great close up views of Toll Apache Shoshone etc.
+1 Very pristine!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez