Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Post by Tortoise1 »

The book "Halfway to Heaven" by Mark Obmascik also tells the story.
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

Every time my wife starts grumbling while climbing over unstable rocks, I tell her that TalusMonkey is watching over her and looking down smiling.

I never met him personally, but loved reading his stories.
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

We talked about him on Torreys this past Saturday.
I met him on Uncompahgre and he convinced me I needed to leave my lurker status behind and join the forum.
I'm not an avid poster or trip report writer, but I do come out of the shadows once in a while to join a discussion where I feel I have something worth while to say.
Everytime I log onto 14ers I am reminded of the TalusMonkey.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

i used his trip report from uncompahgre/wetterhorn this weekend... he's referenced in my TR, although I haven't yet posted it
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

He and I had a good time poking fun at some of the forum topics together. He never failed to pick up on satiric/irony and he could run with it and call in all the powers his computer put in his hands to bring big laughs out of anybody that was reading. I think that the emails he shared with other forum members always made us feel like we were his friends, even if we never got to meet or share climbs.
Yes, he is remembered warmly and missed badly.
dkc
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
Tom Gman
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tom Gman »

I still remember him and how sad it was to hear the news of his death. He was a great motivator on the forum. I looked up this forum specifically to honor the Talusmonkey. Very sorry for your loss.
You have to start somewhere!
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

I never climbed with him, but have climbed with people who counted him as a friend and close, trusted climbing partner, and I can say the his memory lives on proudly through their stories of him. When ever people talk about him, its with love and joy. It makes me wish I had the pleasure of knowing him.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
M_Sandoval52
14ers: 39 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Post by M_Sandoval52 »

Hey there,

I never met the Talusmonkey. However, I read the book Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik. He wrote a lot about him and his girl friend. He sounded like a free spirited person. I would have loved to have met him on a hike. His death was a tragedy. It sounded like he lived life to the fullest. There is no other way. I had just started hiking when he passed. =;
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

The hubby and I were just speaking of him the other night ... there's a new Captain Morgan commercial running on television ... couldn't help but think of him and smile. Though, I never knew him personally, he made many peoples' lives better.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
jpfeif001
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jpfeif001 »

I would have loved to have met the Talusmonkey! His life was LIVED and it seems he was loved by so many. People like the Talusmonkey are a wonderful and special few that motivate and inspire others. His loss was a huge tragedy and his legend will always live on. My youngest daughters climb with me now and they display such an enthusiasm for life that they remind me of people like the Talusmonkey. Even though I never met him, I often think of him and his joy of the mountains and every other aspect of life and always find it inspiring!!
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Found a couple of pictures I took of Dave's finisher on Elbert. That was a fun day. :(
dave22.jpg
dave22.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
dave1.jpg
dave1.jpg (171.37 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Of course.......Dave and his story I tell often. It is one of determination, the love of life, the joy of climbing and friends, and the power of the mountains when things go wrong. Dave is still missed by many.........RIP
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin