Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Machu Picchu via Inca Trail

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Machu Picchu via Inca Trail

Postby jsdratm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Has anyone here done this hike? I booked the classic 4-day through REI and I was wondering if people had advice for me based on their experiences. I would like to summit Huayna Picchu, the peak right next to the ruins. The trail doesn't look too bad after hiking in Colorado for the past year and I think the highest point is a pass around 14,000 feet.

Re: Machu Picchu via Inca Trail

Postby madbuck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:26 pm

jsdratm wrote:Has anyone here done this hike? I booked the classic 4-day through REI and I was wondering if people had advice for me based on their experiences. I would like to summit Huayna Picchu, the peak right next to the ruins. The trail doesn't look too bad after hiking in Colorado for the past year and I think the highest point is a pass around 14,000 feet.

Didn't do the Inca trail, but if you want to hike Huayna Picchu, getting to MP as early as possible in the morning (staying in Aguas Calientes the morning before and taking one of the first buses, BEFORE the first morning Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes train arrives around 10am) will increase your chances. Head directly towards Huayna Picchu (~15-20 minutes to get there) to get in line to hike it or get a ticket for a time to hike it later, then circle back to check out the rest of the ruins.

If this sounds somewhat like a theme park admission, unfortunately the process is. The hike up Huayna Picchu is steady but easy and crowded. Still, it is a great view of a wonder of the world, not to be missed, and it's worth chilling out afterward in a quiet spot among the ruins later. Have fun!

Postby zempto » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

If you hike the Inca Trail you'll get to Machu Picchu from above it and long before the tourist trains show up and won't go Aguas Calientes until the way out. The whole thing is super fun and highly recommended. Enjoy Machu Picchu before the it gets crowded, and then head up to Huayna Picchu. And it's all just super mellow hiking on a very, very nice trail. Have fun!

Postby RenoBob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm

madbuck wrote:
jsdratm wrote:Has anyone here done this hike? I booked the classic 4-day through REI and I was wondering if people had advice for me based on their experiences. I would like to summit Huayna Picchu, the peak right next to the ruins. The trail doesn't look too bad after hiking in Colorado for the past year and I think the highest point is a pass around 14,000 feet.

Didn't do the Inca trail, but if you want to hike Huayna Picchu, getting to MP as early as possible in the morning (staying in Aguas Calientes the morning before and taking one of the first buses, BEFORE the first morning Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes train arrives around 10am) will increase your chances. Head directly towards Huayna Picchu (~15-20 minutes to get there) to get in line to hike it or get a ticket for a time to hike it later, then circle back to check out the rest of the ruins.

If this sounds somewhat like a theme park admission, unfortunately the process is. The hike up Huayna Picchu is steady but easy and crowded. Still, it is a great view of a wonder of the world, not to be missed, and it's worth chilling out afterward in a quiet spot among the ruins later. Have fun!

Yes, get to the Huayna Picchu gate as early as possible. They only allow 250 people on the trail at any time. If you don't make the first 250, you'll have a couple of hours wait to get on the trail. It's well worth the effort and shouldn't be missed if you're going to be there.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

We did the 4 day Inca Trail last year. Instead of Huayna Picchu we climbed Cerro Machu Picchu. Unlike the crowds on Huayna Picchu there were only a few other parties on the mountain. It’s a longer climb to a higher summit with great views but without having to queue in line to get started.

If you are in fourteener shape you should be fine on the Inca Trail.

http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-machu-picchu/154792
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert