Just Moved to SF and Need Climbing/Skiing Suggestions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tygrubb
14ers: 22  5 
Trip Reports (4)

Just Moved to SF and Need Climbing/Skiing Suggestions

Post by tygrubb »

Hi all back in CO,

My first job out of school just took me out to San Francisco and I'm already a little homesick without any big mountains around. I know there are some 14ers and such in the eastern sierra but I know little to nothing about them. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on cool peaks to hit up before winter or some good backcountry skiing spots for the winter/spring season. Any beta and/or websites are greatly appreciated. I need to get my outdoor fix somehow.

Thanks
What I'm up to on the weekends...
http://www.tylergrubb.com
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Just Moved to SF and Need Climbing/Skiing Suggestions

Post by tommyboy360 »

Oh, don't be bummed. You are surrounded by some of the best skiing/climbing in the US.

Check out the Kirkwood/Alpine Meadows season pass. AM was my home resort and it's still my all time favorite with only a few equivalents (ie Squaw / J-Hole / Snowbird / Aspen / Silverton). The best of the best. There's no way I can sum it all up in a simple response. If you have any pinpoint questions then send me a PM. Get a pass and get connected with the locals at AM and you will find some amazing partners to go OB in the sierras. The snow and conditions out there are INSANELY deep and different from Colorado. There will be a learning curve for the new type of snow/terrain you will experience.

Spring/summer time... check out Yosemite and the Pinnacles. Tons of places to explore.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Make Yosemite your new home away from home. So very much to do there. Mt Shasta and Lassen Volcanic NP are not too far away either. Look on the brightside....at least work didn't send you to Nebraska. :)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

You have some sweet stuff around. Go south and check out Big Sur. Get in touch with forum member jf32. He's in your area.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
XMULE
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XMULE »

You have some sweet stuff around. Go south and check out Big Sur. Get in touch with forum member jf32. He's in your area.

+1 Cone Peak will get you in shape, trust me. And, on a clear day, you can see Hawaii from the fire lookout on top :wink:
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

Ah, for a second I thought SF stood for "South Florida" and thus the obvious conundrum with climbing & skiing.

Edit: Here's a map, which encompasses my suggestions for outdoor activities in California.

kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Im from San Francisco originally. Lots to do out there so feel free to hit me up with any questions you want. I would be prepared for 4-8 hour drives to get anywhere with big mountains though. Skiing in Tahoe is awesome they get WAY more snow than Colorado. The biggest concern I would have for you is moving down to sea level. Hope you don't mind the Fog because its foggy there 250+ days a year.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Patinator
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Patinator »

Not a peak, but a great hike of decent mileage through various ecosystems, has redwoods, waterfalls and is in your backyard. Probably better if you wait until next spring.

http://www.summitpost.org/berry-creek-falls-loop/626699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Hwy 120: the road to happiness.
-km
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Skiing the north side of Shasta. One of my favorites and only 4.5 hours from San Fran. I know because I used to live there. On the south side you can ski almost 10k vert in the winter if you ski into town.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tommyboy360
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

kushrocks wrote:I would be prepared for 4-8 hour drives to get anywhere with big mountains though.
True, if you travel on early Friday evenings, Saturday mornings or Early Sunday evenings. Put your Colorado 14er skills to the task and travel at the odd hours. Still no solution if they close 80 but then again you can watch the weather and plan in advance. Learn to install chains and you can make +$1000 in one night. Not kidding.
kushrocks wrote:Hope you don't mind the Fog because its foggy there 250+ days a year.
Did you live in Daly City, Pacifica or somewhere similar? So many places just minutes away that do no get the same fog conditions.
Kapelmuur wrote:Here's a map, which encompasses my suggestions for outdoor activities in California[img]
Great map. And it omits so many great areas like wine/beer country (yep, better beer than Colorado), the 101 coastal areas including Big Sur, and the Santa Cruz mountains. Heck, I've had climbs tougher than colorado 14ers to get to some remote norcal beaches. hahaha.

Seriously, check out Alpine Meadows. It's a safe area and one of the best to hike the side country alone. You will meet tons of experienced folks (unlike LL pass) to go beyond form there. Yes, the K/AM pass is pricey compared to Colorado/Epic pass (includes North Star and Heavenly). However, the snow and terrain is way more EPIC stretching from Yoso to Kirkwood to AM/Squaw and then to Sugarbowl. You'll be depressed to ever just ski the Vail epic pass resorts ever again. Take advantage of it and resist the temptation to buy into Heavenly/North Star.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
tygrubb
14ers: 22  5 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tygrubb »

Thanks for all the great responses. Bought my Squaw/Alpine Meadows pass the other day and will definitely have to check out some of the other good hikes/backcountry. Also, really appreciated the detail on this one...
Edit: Here's a map, which encompasses my suggestions for outdoor activities in California.
I guess my question was a little broad. It'd be like asking where to ski/hike in CO...."Drive west from wherever you are now and stop in 2.5 hours, get out of car, and walk off road"
What I'm up to on the weekends...
http://www.tylergrubb.com