Best places to photograph Sneffels

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DrGO
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Best places to photograph Sneffels

Post by DrGO »

14er Photo enthusiasts: We are looking for recommendations on the best vantage points for photos of Mt. Sneffels. It's my wife's favorite 14er and we are planning a Fall colors trip there next week. Thanks!
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Best places to photograph Sneffels

Post by Presto »

The Dallas Divide.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Presto wrote:The Dallas Divide.
+1. This is my favorite single-mountain view in Colorado.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Any word on when colors should be peaking near Tride/Ridgeway? i'm planning on heading up there on Monday, to D divide.
Climb up Pints down
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

This is the Dallas Divide last Sunday afternoon, Sept. 25:
sneffels.JPG
sneffels.JPG (115.95 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
Georgia, I was surprised Telluride wasn't at peak last weekend like I was expecting, although Ouray/Silverton were. You should hit it perfectly on Monday for T'ride.
Brent D
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brent D »

DrGo,
Try County roads 5 and 7 (East Dallas Creek) off of highway 62

Road 7 (Blue Lakes trail head is at the end) has several cool views, including this one about a mile or less form the end:

Road 5, right before it enters the Forest Service land, there's a great clearing with this view:

Check out Darren's great page, scroll down to descriptions for those roads, some other cool shots for sure.

http://mycolorado.org/fall_drives.html

Good luck!
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

Love your website Brent!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Brent D
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brent D »

JA_son27 wrote:Love your website Brent!

Thanks! :D I'm actually headed out in about an hour to shoot more! ! Cant wait!
DrGO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DrGO »

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice! Brent, we enjoyed looking at your website. Beautiful photography! Thanks for sharing. Have a great trip.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I think I found the spot where the cover photo for Roach's 14ers was shot. Hope to finish off the roll and get the slides back within a couple days.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
DrGO
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DrGO »

Thanks, everyone, for the great photo location suggestions! Friday, October 7th, gave us the last fall colors opportunity for Sneffels (a very brief 4-hour window in the morning). It had snowed the day before, so we had an unexpected frosty mixture with the late fall colors. Dallas Divide, Dallas Creek, Blue Lakes/Blaine Basin trailhead and Log Hill gave us lots of choices and a mad scramble to beat the weather.

Here is a link to a few of the photos we captured:

http://www.ompphoto.com/Colorado-14ers/ ... 9VcJV-A-LB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Wow!! Gorgeous photos!!