Colo part of CDT, help

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Colo part of CDT, help

Post by JohnWilliams »

HI all,
I'm looking at doing the colorado section of the Continental Divide Trail next summer. Has anybody done this section in its entirety? I'm thinking mid to late July as a start time and starting from the south. Also, how would those who have done it think about adding a dog to the hike? What kind of distance was normal for a day? Just trying to get a feel for timelines.

Any tips or suggestions would be awesome!

Grazie!

John
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
ultrarunner74
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Colo part of CDT, help

Post by ultrarunner74 »

Hey search pmags on internet & read his backpacking trips he has done many thru hikes (including the whole CDT) & gives great info. I contacted him about doing Colorado Trail & he was a great resource & will get back with you. As for me I think most years starting in July would be good but this year it was hard to get over Kenosha Pass in July. The CDT average elevation is crazy high so July might be doable most years. Also I think if you train before your hike you should be able to do 20+ miles a day, it just depends how long you have. Pmags also does lightweight backpacking so the less you carry the farther you go. If you get your pack right you could have base weight of less than 10 lbs, this is without food but you could at least double your miles instead of struggling with 20-30+ lb pack. Some people want to carry a lot of heavy/useless equipment and to each is own but if you want to save the extra weight on your back & legs lightweight is way to go. Hope this helps, happy hiking.
ETA
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ETA »

John,
I sent you a PM.
Ed
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I started in early August to avoid monsoon season and crowds and to hit the san juans in early fall ,to get some fall colors and snow( Den -> DGO). I only covered 10 miles a day because I wanted to fly fish creeks/rivers/ponds everyday. I ended up finishing on my 30th bday, 50 days from when i started. Caught 85 + trout (cutts, bows, browns, brookies, cuttbows) and had a blast. Most people can cover 15 - 20 miles a day pretty easily (but they won't catch as many trout...) have fun.
Climb up Pints down