Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PDF files on ROUTES

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

PDF files on ROUTES

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 am

I just added PDF (Adobe Reader File) versions of the 14er route pages. Maybe they will be helpful to some of you that have dialup or want to travel with the route on your computer. To access the PDFs: Go to the desired route and click on the Print tab to display the printer-friendly version. Then look for this icon on the upper right...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:49 am

That's a nice feature Bill. Do you generate those pdf's dynamically on the fly? If so, I'd be really interested in the technology you used (if you're willing to share).
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:55 am

Andy, I use Adobe Acrobat Professional ($449) to create the PDFs. I bought it to create PDFs on 14ers.com where they might be helpful when someone is traveling or has limited net connectivity. When it's installed, you can add an Internet Explorer toolbar that allows you to convert pages to PDFs automatically when you are browsing them. I converted all of the 14er route pages in just a few hours.

Acrobat Standard ($299) may have most of the capabilities to do web-to-pdf conversions, but I'm not sure. There were some features in the Pro version that I needed for the site.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:08 am

Bill, this is yet another great addition to the site. I have a high speed connection, but I will probably begin to download the pdf versions of the routes just to have them available offline. Thanks for all your great work.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby fleetmack » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am

Adobe Standard (6.0 and 7.0 both) can both convert any web page to a PDF, but there are definitely some spacing errors that occur while printing some pages to PDF ... for the most part it'll work, but if you need things to be perfect -- go with Professional.

EDIT: Strange, I just ran across a case minutes after posting this to provide an example of how Adobe Standard can mess up a page ....

This web page: http://blog.econtentpark.com/permalinks ... ORA-01033/

Here is the PDF it created: http://www.fleetmack.com/images/2006/no ... 33_fix.pdf
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Andy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 am

billmiddlebrook wrote:Andy, I use Adobe Acrobat Professional ($449) to create the PDFs. I bought it to create PDFs on 14ers.com where they might be helpful when someone is traveling or has limited net connectivity. When it's installed, you can add an Internet Explorer toolbar that allows you to convert pages to PDFs automatically when you are browsing them. I converted all of the 14er route pages in just a few hours.

Acrobat Standard ($299) may have most of the capabilities to do web-to-pdf conversions, but I'm not sure. There were some features in the Pro version that I needed for the site.

Yeah, I got that stuff but I need to do it dynamically on the fly (pulling user specific content from a database). I had been using this pdf class but the thing is so buggy and unstable I finally gave up. Recently I've been looking into PDFlib but I haven't gotten very far with it.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:12 pm

Oh, I know what you mean. You are probably trying to get it to dynamically generate your PHP stuff? No, I haven't bothered with that yet but I will be working on it. I simply used Acrobat to generate PDF's from my "Printer-Friendly" route pages that are output from a previous php link and don't have any further php db look-ups.