San Jacinto C2C2C

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

San Jacinto C2C2C

Post by JsinDeAZ »

Has anyone done this? Seems like everyone does C2C2T (tram). I'm tentatively planning C2C2C Oct. 29 and wondered who here has done it.

-jsin
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
Patinator
14ers: 58 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (5)

Re: San Jacinto C2C2C

Post by Patinator »

Instead of the super crowded tram route, I went via the Marion Mountain Trailhead near Idyllwild. This is the most direct route and you will gain 4,800 feet over 6 miles if my memory serves me right. If you are lucky, you might not see anyone on that route. Before you go make sure that this route is open or the tram is operating. The perform maintainence on both from time to time.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

JsinDeAZ wrote: C2C2T (tram). C2C2C
I have lots of experience on San Jacinto, but I have no idea what these terms of yours mean.
If you mean non tram use routes, there are many.
Although the tram route is a once in a lifetime great experience.
And it is the best winter trailhead in the country. (Personal Opinion)
Kind of a Disneyland meets the peaks thing!
bj
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

I've done C2C a half dozen times and I've run up and down the lower 2 or 3 miles of the trail several times. The last 8k of descent will be brutal! I'd want to be below 6k before it gets dark. The incline eases up there and the trail will be easier to follow. Don't know why you'd want to do that, but be safe and enjoy!
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
JsinDeAZ
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

C2C2C - Cactus to Clouds to Cactus. I added the tram variant based on where most people stopped on the descent to catch a ride.
bonehead wrote:
JsinDeAZ wrote: C2C2T (tram). C2C2C
I have lots of experience on San Jacinto, but I have no idea what these terms of yours mean.
If you mean non tram use routes, there are many.
Although the tram route is a once in a lifetime great experience.
And it is the best winter trailhead in the country. (Personal Opinion)
Kind of a Disneyland meets the peaks thing!
Last edited by JsinDeAZ on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I did this route: (Starting from Tram, but was awesome!)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
traildawg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by traildawg »

JsinDeAZ, did you make it? I've been contemplating it myself, but wondering about whether it's too late this season to try.
JsinDeAZ
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

Yes, we finally made it out a few weeks ago. Started at the gallery. Route finding can be a bit tricky on the way up. Trails seem to shoot off everywhere. We got to the top of the peak and hiked back the 5 miles and took the tram down. Thankfully we hitched a ride with a guy from San Diego back to our car. Then we drove back to AZ that night. I would think Oct/Nov would be good for this hike. I'll take cold up top to hot on the way up any day. Not much to shield you from direct sun on the way up. I may go back next Fall and to the full C2C2C to redeem myself.

steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

nyker wrote:I did this route: (Starting from Tram, but was awesome!)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aesome pics!