Oregon Hiking/Brewing

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Oregon Hiking/Brewing

Post by Derek »

Wife and I are heading to the Oregon coast Saturday for a week. We're staying a little ways north of Lincoln City for the first few days, and spending the last night or two near Portland. Besides that, we have no plans/reservations. Anyone have recommendations for nice dayhikes anywhere along the coast? We'll probably head as far south as Coos Bay, and as far north as the Washington border.

Also, we would like to try out some good breweries in the area (since Oregon has so many).

Thanks for any info anyone has!

--D
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Oregon Hiking/Brewing

Post by kimo »

Excellent resource:
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Main_Page

I enjoyed a whole day driving the south side of the Columbia River Gorge. I hiked Latourell, Sheppard's Dell, Bridal Veil, Sherrard Pt., Mist Falls, Wahkeena, the paved trail to the top of Multnomah Falls, and some others. I didn't know it at the time but it ended up being an 8-10 mile day of hiking. No wonder I was beat. I would drive, park, walk, rinse, repeat. The beer back at the McMenamins Edgefield hit the spot on my return.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... orge_Hikes

I haven't done this hike but it looks interesting:
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

Scroll down to the Good Stuff section for a basic map of the Gorge, Mt. Hood Loop, and links to trails.
http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/

As for beer, can't go wrong with Deschute's. Looks like they have some tasty things on tap in Portland.
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/on-tap/portland

And since you are staying at the Edgefield (great choice) there is a brewery, distillery, and winery on site. Not the best beer, but very drinkable.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/468-power-station-pub-home
http://www.mcmenamins.com/878-edgefield-distillery-home
http://www.mcmenamins.com/885-edgefield ... sting-room
It is a very cool old place...
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Just a couple of thoughts ... you definitely want to hit Full Sail Brewery (employee owned) in Hood River. http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can watch the kite artists on the water whilst tasting lovely brews and munching on a chipotle grilled salmon sandwich. =P~

Don't know the motivation on going to Coos Bay ... I know when we went there while doing a "two-week west coast volcano-climbing/beering/hot springing/big treeing tour" ... we thought it sounded like an idyllic spot ... NOT. Very not pretty location. If I might recommend, Gold Beach instead. Beautiful views, reasonable motel rates, and good food.

I must also say that there are MANY awesome places to pull off the highway all along the Oregon coast. You can take short (and longer) hikes down to the ocean and beachwalk for awhile. You'll see the trailheads, and they have maps and great footpaths, and the tide schedule (don't want you getting stranded somewhere due to the tide). :mrgreen:

One more thing, if you get the chance or have the time, Crater Lake is an awesome place to visit (fun hiking there ... you can hike to the top of a couple fire lookouts) and also McKenzie Pass which is an incredible place with miles and miles of lava fields ... there's a cool "mini castle" that someone built out of lava and it has windows in it that serve as peak locators for the volcanoes in the area.

Enjoy yourself ... Portland is a fun city (has a great music club scene, yummy food, and tasty beer). Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

Saddle Mountain is a great little hike on the highway back to Portland. It was under renovation a few years back but I think it's been opened again.

Lots of great breweries. You can't go wrong with any of them in Portland. Widmer and Portland Brewing are a couple of my favorites.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Have fun, I love OR!

We spent a day driving out to the coast from SW Portland and went to a nice little brewery on the beach in Pacific City called the Pelican Pub. Cool rocks in the water and a nice short walk up a sand dune if you want to see that. Then we drove up the coast to tillamook, there's a cool aviation museum, if you're into that, there.

Deschutes is always a safe bet.

*edit*

McMenamins is a cool place and they are spread over the area. Be sure to check at least one out, they're all different!
Last edited by Theodore on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Laurelwood Brewing Company in Portland. Good beer and food. :iluvbeer:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

If you make it to Eugene Ninkasi and McMenamins (I think there is one in Portland too) are both great places to sample some mighty fine brews.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Rouge brewery is just south of Lincoln City in Newport (which also has a cool Aquarium). A bit farther south there are some great short hikes near Cape Perpetua.

I also highly recommend a hike on Mary's Peak (highest point in the Coast Range) which is in towards Corvallis on 34. This one is awesome

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/EastRimMary_1890.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, do not skip the Colombia River Gorge.

Other good Portland area breweries include Bridgeport and Terminal Gravity.

There is also a great little brewpub in Cannon Beach with awesome oysters - but sadly I don't remember the name - it's in the middle of town and well signed.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the input everyone! Myself, my wife and my belly are looking forward to a nice trip.
Scuba Steve wrote:Saddle Mountain is a great little hike on the highway back to Portland.
I looked that up on SP, looks like a nice hike! I will definitely try stopping by there. Thanks!
Presto wrote:Don't know the motivation on going to Coos Bay ... I know when we went there while doing a "two-week west coast volcano-climbing/beering/hot springing/big treeing tour" ... we thought it sounded like an idyllic spot ... NOT. Very not pretty location. If I might recommend, Gold Beach instead. Beautiful views, reasonable motel rates, and good food.

Thanks! I wasnt planning on spending time in Coos Bay for any reason, I just didnt feel like going any further south than that point. I'll keep the Gold Beach idea in mind.
davey_rocket wrote:There is also a great little brewpub in Cannon Beach....
Isnt that where Goonies was filmed? Makes that trip worthwhile alone! :D

I notice a lot of mentioning McMenamins- That is actually where we plan staying the last couple days near Portland. (Thanks for the info on it, Kimo!) Must be a good place!

--D
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

davey_rocket wrote:There is also a great little brewpub in Cannon Beach....
Isnt that where Goonies was filmed? Makes that trip worthwhile alone! :D

Actually Goonies was filmed just north (30 minutes) of Canon Beach in Astoria...or at least that's where the Goonies house is. I think they give tours during certain times if you're a big fan of the movie.

Steve-
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Derek wrote: Isnt that where Goonies was filmed? Makes that trip worthwhile alone! :D

I notice a lot of mentioning McMenamins- That is actually where we plan staying the last couple days near Portland. (Thanks for the info on it, Kimo!) Must be a good place!

--D
The part by the ocean is Cannon Beach, the three rocks in the doubloon are the iconic Cannon Beach sea stacks. Goonies or not, Cannon Beach is awesome, take the Ecola State Park trail is pretty awesome with some really cool, huge spruce trees.

I personally was never a huge fan of McMenamins, mostly because the two in Corvallis (where I lived) were kind of crappy and I never thought their beer really lived up to what Oregon has to offer. Good food though.

However, I did meet my wife at the Blue Moon McMenamins in Downtown Portland so I can't be too hard on 'em. :lol:
Make wilderness less accessible.
bblack99
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by bblack99 »

I agree with Davey, I didn't think McMenamins was very good (food- or beer-wise) when I visited Portland a few years ago. That said, the view from the one on the Columbia River (one the Washington side) was pretty darn great. If you happen to be a cheese fan, cruise up to Portland via Tillamook and visit the dairy for free samples. It's GREAT!

In Portland, I'd suggest hitting up Hair of the Dog for a little brewery tour (I think they have a tap room now?), the Deschutes Public House (get the Abyss, best beer ever), and Henry's 12th St. Tavern for variety. For breakfast, check out Voodoo Doughnut for a maple bacon doughnut, then keep your eyes peeled for this to wash it down:
http://beernews.org/2011/08/new-beer-la ... -and-more/

Oh yeah...hiking. I can't really speak to that, since the weather was pretty awful when I was there in 2008. I did Tom, Dick, and Harry Mountain for the views of Mt. Hood, but it was so rainy and foggy, I couldn't see more than 100 yards. Then I went up to visit Mt. Saint Helens and messed around in the gorge. Multnomah Falls is pretty impressive, though I wouldn't classify it as much of a hike.