Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canon S100 due out Nov 2011

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Canon S100 due out Nov 2011

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

bergsteigen wrote:I'm tempted to upgrade from the S90... I would jump if they'd increase the optical zoom! [-o< 3X is barely worth trying sometimes.

Based almost solely on the optical zoom difference (14x vs. 3x), I chose the SX 230 HS over the S95.
What else does the S (95, 100) series offer that I'm missing out on besides RAW, which isn't that important to me?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Matt wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:I'm tempted to upgrade from the S90... I would jump if they'd increase the optical zoom! [-o< 3X is barely worth trying sometimes.

Based almost solely on the optical zoom difference (14x vs. 3x), I chose the SX 230 HS over the S95.
What else does the S (95, 100) series offer that I'm missing out on besides RAW, which isn't that important to me?

S90 vs SX230 HS
Aperture: f/2.0 vs Aperture: f/3.1
manual focus vs --------------
all manual exposures vs just +/- 2EV

I agree, I want a better zoom, but I like the better low light (aperture). I am also enjoying the manual focus. Sometimes the autofocus does a terrible job when I want a macro image or attach a magnification filter/lens.

Or the full comparison: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&A=compareChart&Q=&ci=8612&items=%3B729876-REG%3B753782-REG
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Matt wrote: Based almost solely on the optical zoom difference (14x vs. 3x), I chose the SX 230 HS over the S95.
Sensor size. The SX230 has roughly half the total sensor area as the S90/95/100. This is a big deal if you ever want to make big prints. If you don't, this is probably not important. If you shoot in low light you will also have significantly more noise. Again, not important for posting pics, emailing pics, and smaller actual prints.

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the updates, you two. You've almost made me wish I'd picked the S95.
For me, it was a real toss up, I really like the big zoom on the SX230 and have found the image quality to be better than I'd expected.
I will say that BH is wrong--I use the manual mode on my SX230 pretty often. It's almost made me not miss my G9.
Canon's early literature (I got this in March, just days after its release, with little of the online beta now available) convinced me that its new light sensor would be a great improvement vs. their older versions in low-light, and it's been pretty darn good.
The biggest photos I've printed have been 8x10s of Delicate Arch and of S. Six Shooter Peak, taken in low light around sunset. They turned out pretty well.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby dave_navy_VA » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 pm

I have the S90 and if the 100 is a step above it's a plus for a great p&s Canon series. I am a Nikon guy all the way with SLRs and DSLRs over the years but I like Canon S better for p&s with the manual features and form factor over anything else out there.

Postby steelfrog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Sorry to derail--I have a Lumix LX-5. I like it a lot but i I can do better, I will try. Can I do better in something I can keep in my pocket?

What about these new "hybrid" cameras that you can put a lens on? Like a SLR/P&S blend?

Many thanks!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 am

slaggbottom wrote:I like my S95, but the #1 thing I'd want different is a wider angle. The S100 with 24mm vs 28mm sounds wonderful! Man, I'm really tempted to upgrade.

If you do, and you need a home for your S95 at a reasonable price, pm me. I was planning to get the S100, but at the right price I'm sure I'd be quite happy with either, so thought I'd mention it.

Previous