Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

experienced climbers?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

experienced climbers?

Postby Jules246 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm officially obsessed! Moved to Colorado last year and didn't stop thinking about climbing the mountains until i finally got on one! Went up Pikes Peak from the Crags this month...getting to the summit full of people and donuts is kind of a bummer, rather be solo or with a few other hikers who actually put in the effort to get there. Well now my obsession only got worse, wish it was earlier in summer so I had time to get WAY more mountains in before all this rain and snow (not sure I'm properly prepared for winter hikes yet?) Well, my main question is, everything I read says to hike with experienced climbers when you first start out. Now, if they are not much more difficult than Crags I'm really not concerned, but if they are mostly tougher (which I'm sort of hoping to do to get more of a challenge) any more experienced climbers mind a tag-a-long??? Haven't met one person in Springs yet who seems to have this addiction that I have, no one cares about climbing. I'd hate to slow anyone down but love to learn more and not feel completely alone on a new mountain (although I do love solo hikes once I'm comfortable). So if anyone out there is going out before the snow REALLY comes or even next year, I'd love to join as much as possible! Thanks! :)
Last edited by Jules246 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: experienced climbers?

Postby somethingrandom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Jules246 wrote:I'm officially obsessed! Moved to Colorado last year and didn't stop thinking about climbing the mountains until i finally got on one! Went up Pikes Peak from the Crags this month...found it kinda a piece of cake, no? Was expecting a 14er to be tougher, although getting to the summit full of people and donuts is kind of a bummer, rather be solo or with a few other hikers who actually put in the effort to get there. Now it only got worse, wish it was earlier in summer so I had time to get WAY more mountains in before all this rain and snow (not sure I'm properly prepared for winter hikes yet?) Well, my main question is, everything I read says to hike with experienced climbers when you first start out. Now, if they are mostly as easy as Crags I'm really not concerned, but if they are mostly tougher (which I'm sort of hoping to get more of a challenge) any more experienced climbers mind a tag-a-long??? Haven't met one person in Springs yet who seems to have this addiction that I have, no one cares about climbing. I'd hate to slow anyone down but love to learn more and not feel completely alone on a new mountain (although I do love solo hikes once I'm comfortable). So if anyone out there is going out before the snow REALLY comes or even next year, I'd love to join as much as possible! Thanks! :)

Check out the 14ers fall gathering next weekend. Tons o people going out for many 14ers!
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby myfeetrock » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 pm

I'll be doing Quandary between dec and feb if you want to do a winter hike. It's an easy hike but a fun one. I am nowhere close to being an experienced climber like some of the people on this site. I'm here in Glenwood on the western slope, but would be happy to climb with you on the elks.
Michael Colson

Postby Jules246 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:05 am

somethingrandom wrote:Check out the 14ers fall gathering next weekend. Tons o people going out for many 14ers!

I did see the post on the Fall Gathering, looks amazing and I would LOVE to do Handies and some others around there, as well as finally meet some others with this passion! unfortunately I didn't get on this site till last week and not enough time to move my schedule around :( really bummed about that.... but next year I won't miss it for anything!! Is there usually a spring gathering too? Or only fall?

myfeetrock wrote:I'll be doing Quandary between dec and feb if you want to do a winter hike. It's an easy hike but a fun one. I am nowhere close to being an experienced climber like some of the people on this site. I'm here in Glenwood on the western slope, but would be happy to climb with you on the elks.

You know, I was thinking I wasn't ready for winter climbs yet, but I really can't imagine waiting until next spring!!! Really don't know anything about climbing in winter though, never really planned on doing it until I got addicted to these mountains and DON'T want to sit them out for half the year! Guess another trip to REI is order :D I'm thinking I need ice axe, crampons, gaiters, some extra layers?? anything else specifically? And I'm IN! :) Thanks for the invite hope not to slow you down, let me know when you know a closer date, although I won't be available end of Dec/1st week of Jan, anything else is fine.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 am

Jules246 wrote: Haven't met one person in Springs yet who seems to have this addiction that I have, no one cares about climbing...

:roll:

There's a few of us. Springs is an unusual little community.

But now you know one person who has the addiction - both mountaineering and rock climbing. So feel free to contact me.

A few of us might head to Shelf tomorrow for some climbing; If you rock climb, feel free to join us.

Postby TheOtherIndian » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 am

Jules246 wrote:
I did see the post on the Fall Gathering, looks amazing and I would LOVE to do Handies and some others around there, as well as finally meet some others with this passion! unfortunately I didn't get on this site till last week and not enough time to move my schedule around :( really bummed about that.... but next year I won't miss it for anything!! Is there usually a spring gathering too? Or only fall?

There is a thread for 'Winter Welcomer' hike on Halloween weekend. Check that out! I'm looking out for that too to get an intro!
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby Jules246 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am

TheOtherIndian wrote:There is a thread for 'Winter Welcomer' hike on Halloween weekend. Check that out! I'm looking out for that too to get an intro!

Awesome, hadn't seen that one yet, I just might have to attend, thanks for the info! :)

Postby myfeetrock » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Sweet deal I'll let you know.
Michael Colson

Postby ToledoMan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I live in Colo Spngs and like to hike. I also have the same problem. Everyone I know likes to talk about how much they love the mountains, but that's about as far as it goes. I'd be happy to hike with you, just give me a shout.

Postby Kinesiologyman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 pm

There are probably many of us in CS that are addicted to hiking, climbing, and mountaineering!

I shoot for 1-2 hikes a week, 1-2 days of rock climbing a week (preferably outdoors), and a 1-2 day mountain trip each month. Summer time gets even busier...

If any of that interests you, send me a PM. My next trip is this weekend (Friday night to Sunday night). I will either be heading to North Maroon Peak or San Luis Peak + Rock climbing near Gunnison.

Heath
You can take the man out of the mountains...
But you can't take the mountains out of the man.

Postby gonzalj » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 am

I'm headed down to the sangre de cristos this weekend to hike humboldt. I might have a full car, but if you would like to join along, we could meet somewhere and follow each other. I've done a decent number of 14ers and have some experience, but my pace is also on the slow to moderate side.

Postby Jules246 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:42 am

gonzalj wrote:I'm headed down to the sangre de cristos this weekend to hike humboldt. I might have a full car, but if you would like to join along, we could meet somewhere and follow each other. I've done a decent number of 14ers and have some experience, but my pace is also on the slow to moderate side.

Thanks for the offer, I actually already have plans for Mt. Elbert this weekend, but would love to join along next time if you let me know!

Next