New Hampshire suggestions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

New Hampshire suggestions

Post by fleetmack »

I am heading to New Hampshire & Maine for a week or so. Looking for suggestions for scenic hikes in the White Mountains. These would be not overly challenging hikes, don't care if there's a summit involved or not. Preferable a couple of hikes a couple hours long, with top-notch scenery. Waterfalls and such are always welcomed. We won't have ~much~ time here, maybe a day or so, as we are heading up to Acadia after that and then over to Portland to party it up before heading back to Boston....
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New Hampshire suggestions

Post by tlerunner »

The peaks in the Franconia Ridge area.
norseman
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by norseman »

Falling Waters Trail ascends Franconia Ridge to slightly over 4,000 ft. The trail passes several waterfalls and has great views of the Pemigewasset wilderness and the Presidential range from the ridge.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
- Edward Abbey
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I can second Franconia Ridge, though if you're there on a weekend it'll be crowded. Some other suggestions:

Mt. Cardigan--if you want an easy, low, and fun peak removed from (but with an incredible view of) the Whites, this is a great bet. Go up the standard route from the west near Canaan, or if you want more of a challenge, the 3rd class Holt Trail is a blast.

Moosilauke from the Lodge--a gentle giant. Spectacular views across the Whites. There's a nice loop hike you can do that's maybe 8 miles total and that includes S. Moosilauke--a worthy side trip.

Mt. Jefferson via Caps Ridge--the shortest way up one of the Presis (2700' climb) aside from just driving to the top. Fun, class 2+, and of course amazing views on a clear day.

Flume via the Flume Slide Trail--a bit more on the challenging side, but oh-so-much-fun! 3rd class for a few hundred feet, with an easier but dramatic finish up along the ridge to the summit. Might well be my favorite 4000'er in the state. Liberty is an easy side trip from Flume, and there's another trail you can descend.

I've heard very good things about Chocorua and Carrigain, but haven't climbed either.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Ooh! I am from New Hampshire!

Yes to Franconia Ridge, though you'd be looking at a lot of hiking through forest before you get to any good views. The Presidential range has the most above treeline stuff. If you're looking to keep it to a couple of hours, you could drive up Mount Washington and traverse to any of the nearby peaks (Jefferson, Monroe). Then you could skip slogging up 3000 feet to get out of the trees and have awesome views from the beginning. The area by the AMC's Lakes of the Clouds hut is gorgeous.

The Kancamangus highway is a beautiful drive and there are trailheads all along the road. Looks like they've already gotten it repaired post-Irene.

Also this guy's website is awesome... basically where I get all my ideas about what to do: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The trip planner on the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) website is so thorough and awesome btw.

I'm not that familiar with shorter hikes in the Whites. Actually Mount Major by Laconia/Lake Winnipesaukee sounds kind of like what you are looking for... ~2 hours round trip, beautiful views of the lake. Mount Monadnock (western NH) is also ~2 hours west of Boston is maybe 3-4 hours round trip and quite nice.

Have an awesome time in Acadia! I've always wanted to go!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

ChrisinAZ wrote:I can second Franconia Ridge, though if you're there on a weekend it'll be crowded. Some other suggestions:

Flume via the Flume Slide Trail--a bit more on the challenging side, but oh-so-much-fun! 3rd class for a few hundred feet, with an easier but dramatic finish up along the ridge to the summit. Might well be my favorite 4000'er in the state. Liberty is an easy side trip from Flume, and there's another trail you can descend.
The Flume Slide Trail... that brings back memories. I climbed that solo in the fall with about 4 inches of snow on it. Of course I had NO technical gear, and no one knew where I was going. Not my brightest moment ](*,) but somehow I pulled it off and managed to summit!

To the op, I don't have any better suggestions for New Hampshire, the Presidentials and Franconia areas are probably as good as it gets. When you are in Acadia check out the Beehive, it is a short but fun little scrambling route, (there are a few metal bars to climb in the steepest sections), and there is an easy route down. It is right near Sand Beach which is the main beach there and won't take you more than an hour round trip. Also, if you have the time as you head down the coast try Mt. Megunticook or Battie in the Camden Hills area. Both have nice views and are fairly short climbs.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

I'm jealous of your trip! I spent all of my summers growing up in NH.

If you are looking for shorter days, but still getting out, here's what I would say.

Short days/car days with minimal walking - Kankamangus Highway. The Flume. Drive Mt. Washington Road if it's still open.
Shorter hiking day - Chocura is a pretty neat one. Spend your time in the trees, pop out onto exposed granite and get above it all with some light scrambling.
Actual day hikes - Most routes up Mt. Washington.

My favoirte hike to date up there has been what I think the others are talking about with Franconia Ridge. Head up from 93 to teh Greenleaf Hut, then we traversed down the ridge to Lincoln and Little Haystack, then down to the valley.

Awesome area!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Mt Washington in NH and Katahdin in Maine if you have the time and conditions allow you up.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

nyker wrote:Mt Washington in NH and Katahdin in Maine if you have the time and conditions allow you up.
Katahdin is awesome! I kind of assumed that the original poster wouldn't have time for that as it's a bit out of the way and a pretty long day as well, but that is always a good choice!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

My home base for hiking is the White Moutains and I'm from Maine. Great intermediate hikes with great views in NH are Mt. Garfield, Mt. Carrigain, and Mt. Mooselauke. Similar hikes in Maine are Tumbledown Mountain and Saddleback Mountain. Katahdin is the best badass mountain east of the Mississippi.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
BeastoftheEast
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BeastoftheEast »

All good suggestions, particularly Falling Waters. If you're looking for quick ways to get above treeline, here are three easy-to-moderate hikes. I've put them in order of my preference. The first two will offer solitude, the third a crowded summit.

1. The Baldfaces
An O-B to South Baldface (3,570') from N. Chatham is about 7.4 miles R/T and 3,200' EG, with two miles of the hike above treeline. But if you have time for a loop of both S. and N. Baldface (3,610'), it's about 12 miles, but with four miles above treeline. It's not quite as accessible as the two hikes below, but the TH is on the NH-Maine border, and it's well worth the effort.

2. The Moats
An O-B of South Moat (2,749') and Middle Moat (2,805) from just off the eastern end of the Kanc is about 6.6 miles R/T and 2,500' EG, with nearly two miles of the hike above treeline.

3. Chocorua
An O-B from the Kanc on the Champney Falls Trail to Chocorua (3,475) is about 8 miles R/T and 2,400' EG, with about a mile above treeline. There's a decent waterfall and quarry halfway up. Add the Three Sisters if you have time.

Also, you might want to check out the mapadventures.com series, both for the Whites and Maine. Have fun.
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

Lots of great suggestions already.

Zeacliff and Zealand Falls. About 3 miles of flat hiking takes to the Zealand Hut and Zealand Falls, a very pretty area. Further up a mile and a thousand feet or two takes you to a nice open overlook called the Zeacliff. Short on time you can stop here and admire the views. A mile further takes you to the wooded and viewless summit of Zealand...no need to bother if you're not summit oriented...only people who tag Zealand are those who are pursuing the 48 New Hampshire 4000'ers. Further on you have the premier peaks of these 4000'ers too, Bond, West Bond, and Bondcliff...but going up and over these and back (including Zealand and unofficial Guyot) involve 20 miles RT total and 5000' of gain.

Osceola and Jackson are very quick 5-6 mi RT hikes to open summits; the former is right off the Kanc, the latter right off 302 on Crawford Notch. Other Quickies include Cannon and Wildcat D; both have a tram and a tower up top as well for open views. Pierce is near Jackson off Crawford Notch, pretty decent views, short hike.. You can continue a couple miles up to Eisenhower, or do the latter on its own.

Not sure how far up into Maine you'd be willing to go, but having finished the NH48 a few months ago I've finally gotten the chance to head up to the Maine peaks. Old Speck is a quick and easy hike to the top of a firetower...it's probably around 45 miles from Gorham NH. I just did Saddleback Mtn and The Horn this past weekend...some of the best views I've seen up east...and it's quick if you go up the ski trails of the Saddleback Ski Area to junction up top with the AT.

Def plenty to see and do in the area...all you need is the time