Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TR - Humphreys Peak, AZ (12,633)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am

My oh my, what are we going to do with you? Fear not, we'll hike together soon... and have plenty of whipped cream to share. Speaking of, I've been noticing these really cool reddi whip fridges in the grocery stores lately. They are super cool. Usually empty, but still. They are a little too big to steal without anybody noticing. Anyway, great trip report!

Sorry we couldn't go with you. We're going on a little jaunt of our own today... to the moutainous region of.... you guessed it, Kansas.

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am

My oh my, what are we going to do with you? Fear not, we'll hike together soon... and have plenty of whipped cream to share. Speaking of, I've been noticing these really cool reddi whip fridges in the grocery stores lately. They are super cool. Usually empty, but still. They are a little too big to steal without anybody noticing. Anyway, great trip report!

Sorry we couldn't go with you. We're going on a little jaunt of our own today... to the moutainous region of.... you guessed it, Kansas.

Postby FlyGirl » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:47 am

Talusmonkey/USAKeller

I am looking for some sound financial advice. Two companies I am considering purchasing stock in are Smith & Wesson or Redi-Whip. Which do you prefer for the long term and which will get the best return for my dollar? :lol:
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

Postby TalusMonkey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 am

johnner,

Thanks! Humphreys is a good mountain and a gorgeous hike in nice mild weather. I noticed that Agassiz is off limits when dry, but good luck on climbing it in the snow or whipped cream!

ClimbingJWM,

Thanks for the props on the TR. I enjoyed putting it together. Did you get Medicine Bow during the past few weeks - and before they closed Wyo 130 over the pass?

Yeah, USAKeller and that whipped cream lured us to the summit. However, her dad declined our invitation to join in the whipped cream festivities... ;)

Timmy,

Great minds think alike... :)

Kate,

I've never seen a special Redi Wip fridge at the store. But its definitely something we should look into for a future mountain cabin. Or if several of us couples do a mountain getaway/ski trip together...

Don't forget to hit up Mount Sunflower on your way through Kansas this week! USAKeller and I are gonna bag it sometime this winter...when conditions are better for a snowclimb...

Hey, you and CODave should join USAKeller and I in Taos in the next few weeks. Taos Ski Village is offering half off discounts through Dec 15th. $25 lift tickets, ski equipment rental for $13/day. And many of the accomodations are half off or on special also. CODave could come down to Poncha Springs, drop a vehicle and you two can ride down the gunbarrel to Alamosa and over to Ft. Garland and down to Taos. We can hike Wheeler Peak (13,161) the first day and then ski on Saturday...
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby TalusMonkey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:02 am

luckylabgirl wrote:Talusmonkey/USAKeller

I am looking for some sound financial advice. Two companies I am considering purchasing stock in are Smith & Wesson or Redi-Whip. Which do you prefer for the long term and which will get the best return for my dollar? :lol:

Nice Thanksgiving theme avatar luckylabgirl!

Humm...financial advice... I think that diversification is important in any portfolio. Since the democrats took over congress, there may be a short term surge in demand for Smith & Wesson products as the citizens stockpile arms in fear of future regulation. But future regulation may harm Smith & Wesson stock.

Redi-Wip, however, should be able to survive economic conditions in both boom and recession periods. Redi Wip might even be negatively correlated to the market. Perhaps during hard economic times people can't afford other luxuries, so they stay home and enjoy a $3 can of Redi Wip. (Its possible that Redi Wip, and NOT the return of soldiers from WWII, led to the "baby boom"...)

*** This is not an offer for the sale of securities. For full information consult the prospectus. Historical performance is not a guarantee or indicator of future performance.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby CODave » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

Great trip report, I love the whipped cream!! It looks like ya'll had a great time. Wish we could have been there.

Perhaps Kate and I will come back w/ a trip report for the formidable Mt. Sunflower. It's looking like conditions are prime for this week.

Postby mtnrnnr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:53 am

Timm19,

Thank you for the offer. Yes, we'd definitely appreciate any info that you have regarding Charleston. We've done some reading and it sounds like a loop is possible, North and South Loop trails. Is either a better option at this time of year? We plan on climbing it on Sunday, December 10th. I've read a few trip reports and it sounds like snow can add an extra degree of difficulty to this mountain. We plan to bring out snowshoes and ice axes if necessary. Thanks for your time and help. We appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete

Postby AzScott » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:40 am

Timmy -

Good call. Though the way ASU has been playing...we'll see. The boos have been pretty loud in Sun Devil Stadium this year

Kate and Dave:

Though I have been giving you two crap for not coming and was about to even more for the Kansas thing, I quickly realized that even Mt. Sunflower is of higher elevation than Tempe. Crap. :)

Postby timm19 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:04 pm

mtnrnnr wrote:Timm19,

Thank you for the offer. Yes, we'd definitely appreciate any info that you have regarding Charleston. We've done some reading and it sounds like a loop is possible, North and South Loop trails. Is either a better option at this time of year? We plan on climbing it on Sunday, December 10th. I've read a few trip reports and it sounds like snow can add an extra degree of difficulty to this mountain. We plan to bring out snowshoes and ice axes if necessary. Thanks for your time and help. We appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,
I climbed it the first time from the Las Vegas ski area, literally climbing up one of the main runs, then up a couple of steep avalanche gullies to the rim where the route intersects with the remainder of the North Loop Trail. It's another 3-4 miles from here to the summit. With snow, this would not be the choice. The second time we took the South Loop trail up and back(about 2.5 weeks ago). From Echo Cliffs (2 miles from trailhead) to the rim (another 2 miles) the trail was snowpacked and icy. I didn't have snowshoes or crampons, but it is narrow, there are some drop offs and it was slick. By mid Dec, you'll definately want an ice axe and/or crampons/snowshoes through this section. Once on the rim, the next 3 miles are EASY-a bit of up and down walking through a huge meadow. Great views in all directions. The last mile or so is a pretty good grunt, but the trail is well defined. It's 17 miles RT from the south loop trailhead, so plan on a long day. It's a great climb and not that difficult, but it is long. If you do a complete loop, your're going to end up a mile or two from your car unless you have a shuttle system, so keep that in mind. I would recommend doing one loop or the other both ways. The SL is a bit easier and shorter than the NL. Plan an early start and have fun. That time of year you shouldn't see many people on the trail.

Postby mtnrnnr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Thanks Timm19,

I appreciate the info. We'll pack the snowshoes and ice axe for sure and do a bit more reading on the routes to pick one or the other. The south sounds pretty good.

We had figured on a long day and early start. I have to be in vegas that evening for an 11pm flight back to Denver. At first, we were just going to to take an easy day in Vegas after doing Humphrey's, but then we started to look at Charleston and decided that we couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Thanks again,
Pete

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:55 pm

So, David... I just realized that you're not doing whippets on these trips of yours...or are you?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Previous