Roach's "Colorado Classic Peaks"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MoonNerd
Trip Reports (0)

Roach's "Colorado Classic Peaks"

Post by MoonNerd »

On Gerry Roach's website, he has an interesting section on Colorado's "classic peaks." Does anyone know what criteria he uses to qualify them as classic? I had not heard of some of mountains and am very interested in hiking them. I was pleasantly surprised that he picked several Class 2 routes.

http://www.climb.mountains.com/Classic_ ... sics.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Rob
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Roach's "Colorado Classic Peaks"

Post by mattpayne11 »

I could be wrong, but I think he just rates them based on his personal belief on what is classic or not. In his 13ers book he has many routes described as "classic" and generally speaking, in my experience, these routes have indeed been some of the best routes I've been on. So, long story short, I think it is a subjective rating.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

these are most likely his personal favorites based on route quality/summit views/aesthetics/lack of crowds...class of the route really has not much to do with it. The ones in the list that i have been on i can say are pretty fantastic and wouldn't hesitate to climb them again.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Please ignore that list...

Seriously, that is one that I'm "working on." Folks sho know me know that I have about 37 lists to choose from so I don't finish any of them any time soon. Anyways, careful, that list leads to an infatuation with the Gores and may put you on peaks where you don't see another soul.

On an attempt on Teocalli a few years ago we saw a couple from Crested Butte who's first question was, "If you're from Denver, how in the world did you hear about this peak?"

Edit: I guess that was the 2nd question. The first being, "Where are you from?"
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

In the intros to both the 13ers and 14ers books, he says he "designated the best routes, regardless of difficulty, as *Classic*". So I'm sure his idea of "best" has some long list of subjective and objective criteria.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Floyd wrote: On an attempt on Teocalli a few years ago we saw a couple from Crested Butte who's first question was, "If you're from Denver, how in the world did you hear about this peak?"
hah that's probably what i would have said...seriously though, teo just looks freakin awesome when going up brush creek rd. and looks even better with snow on it :)
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

The one that immediately jumped out to me was "Siberia Peak". Have you also noticed that he's got a lot from the Elk Range? I know it's pretty, but it can also be rotten. Oh well. This would be a wonderful list to work on after the 58....
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I love the Gores!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

This would be a great list to work on. Now that I'm most of the way through Roach's Flatiron classics, it's pretty obvious that rock quality hardly plays into his decisions. Some routes are very quality but I have a feeling that his personal experiences (partners, etc.) have a major factor into designating some "classic".
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Brian C wrote:This would be a great list to work on. Now that I'm most of the way through Roach's Flatiron classics, it's pretty obvious that rock quality hardly plays into his decisions. Some routes are very quality but I have a feeling that his personal experiences (partners, etc.) have a major factor into designating some "classic".
I would have to concur. Airplane Gully on Navajo was a classic choss chute IMO! Maybe he had an enjoyable day with good company. Or did it with snow, that would make it better.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I have spent the last couple of years casually working my way through the peaks on Gerry Roach's "classics" list and would agree that it is subjective. Although I have enjoyed nearly all of those he lists, particularly the one's in the Elks/West Elks and Gores such as Teocalli, Belleview (which has one of the most interesting views of the Maroon Bells I've ever seen), Cinnamon Mountain, and Outpost Peak, he doesn't list many peaks in those ranges that others would consider classics such as East Beckwith (which is like a cross between Mount Sopris and Snowmass Mountain), or Peak C which I just returned from climbing and is a new favorite.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Funny coincidence w/ this post: Today is Gerry's Birthday. Nicely done, Gerry!