Airline Trail up Mount Adams, NH

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lazyhiker
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Airline Trail up Mount Adams, NH

Post by lazyhiker »

I was planning to do a quick hike up Mount Adams in the White Mountains, NH (just a random selection); I'm in the area for a day.

I want to keep the hike a class 2 (or low class 3). Looking at the maps, it appears that Airline trail fits this criteria. Do you guys agree? Any other routes up the mountain that are scenic? If time and weather permit, I plan to do the ridge that connects Mt Adams and Mt Madison.

Cheers!
tbaileymd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Airline Trail up Mount Adams, NH

Post by tbaileymd »

I went up Valley Way, and back down Airline. The top part of Airline is really scenic and is not to be missed if you're heading that way. As far as going up Mt. Adams, there are a couple of ways to summit from the hut. I went up the way that is closer to the lake up there (more fun scrambling than the other way), and then descended the opposite side.

All of that should be class 2.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

All the trails in the Whites are pretty much class 2. While I preferred the Airline, the Valley Way has the scenic advantage of several beautiful falls shortly after the trail starts from the north, but it becomes very steep and slippery if wet, which can happen a lot out there. You might go up the Valley and down the Airline. There are literally tons of trails that you can almost always do a loop and enjoy different trails on each hike. Beautiful area! Enjoy!! :D
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

I highly recommend the King Ravine Trail on the way up (you can take Air Line on the way down). There are some great boulders, a "subway" section, an ice cave, and a nice headwall to climb (~1,100' vert in half a mile) to get up to Adams' ridge. http://www.summitpost.org/king-ravine-trail/164794 I wasn't in very good shape back in those days so I never made the summit of Adams but I definitely went back a couple times just to climb that trail.

A photo I found online showing a typical section of the headwall climb:

ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

One other possibility--take the Caps Ridge trail up Jefferson, then the ridge over to Adams. It's a great hike, and is mostly class 2 (I think the Caps have a bit of 2+). There's a good dirt road up to the notch just west of Jefferson at 3000' up, so the overall elevation gain is comparable to most other ways up Adams, but you get two peaks for the price of one :)

That said, I've heard good things about King Ravine...never got a chance to hike it though.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
lazyhiker
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazyhiker »

Thanks for all the information!
soad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by soad »

Vermont Mike wrote:I highly recommend the King Ravine Trail on the way up

I agree, the King Ravine headwall is not to be missed.