Other ways to help...

TR - Humphreys Peak, AZ (12,633)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

TR - Humphreys Peak, AZ (12,633)

Postby TalusMonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:54 am

Peak: Humphreys Peak, AZ (12,633')
Date: Sunday, November 19, 2006
Team: TalusMonkey, USAKeller + father (Fred), Wyo_MtnMan + Tanya
Route: Arizona Snowbowl (elevation 9,300)

Humphreys Peak is located in northern Arizona, approximately 20 miles NW of Flagstaff, and is the state highpoint, as well as the highpoint of Coconino National Forest.

From Phoenix, approach Humphreys Peak by traveling north on I-17 until its terminus in Flagstaff. Proceed north on 89A and then turn left on US Hwy 180. After 7.2 miles, turn right onto the Snow Bowl Rd. Drive 6.7 miles to the Humphreys Peak Trail parking area. Trailhead coordinates: N35deg 19m52.6s, W111deg 42m42.1s.

I flew into Phoenix on Thursday night and Wyo_MtnMan and Tanya picked me up at the airport. We made an early night of it and crashed at their apartment in Tempe. Friday I met USAKeller's dad (my future father-in-law) for breakfast and went to the Tempe Sports Complex to watch USAKeller's third pool-play game (University of Colorado Women's Club Soccer) at the Women's Collegiate Club Soccer Nationals tournament. After the game, we had lunch and hung out until USAKeller had to prepare for the quarterfinals game that evening. Wyo_MtnMan and Tanya picked me up at USAKeller's hotel and we returned to watch the first half of the quarterfinal game. Then we proceeded to Wyo_MtnMan's graduate geography department party. We had a great time and it was nice to meet some of Wyo's colleagues.

On Saturday Wyo, Tanya, their friend Rachel and I headed north to Sedona for a short hike. We did an easy, short hike to Vultee Arch - a natural arch near Sedona. The weather was fantastic - suitable for shorts and a T-shirt.

TalusMonkey and Rachel on Vultee Arch:

Tanya, Wyo_MtnMan, Rachel and TalusMonkey on the arch span:

After the arch hike, Rachel drove back to Tempe, while Wyo, Tanya and I continued north to Flagstaff to check in at the Days Inn. Later, after dinner, USAKeller and her father (my future father-in-law) checked in at the hotel and we all called it a night to prepare for hiking Humphreys Peak together on Sunday.

We met in the lobby at the hotel at 0715 on Sunday morning. After a light breakfast, we caravanned two vehicles to the Humphreys Peak TH. The weather was fabulous. Although the temperature was about 30 when we arrived on trail at 0820, it was sunny, clear and calm.

A view of Humphreys Peak (left) from near the trailhead:

Wyo_MtnMan, Tanya, USAKeller and her father (my future father-in-law), and I hiked the easy trail toward Humphreys from the TH. We soon reached the Wilderness registration log at a trail junction at N35deg 20m04.4s, W111deg 42m13.8s. At this junction, follow the left trail marked for Humphreys Peak and the Weatherford Trail.

The Humphreys Peak trail continues at a gentle grade through timber. Finally, reach the saddle between Humphreys Peak and Agassiz Peak (12,356) at about timberline near 11,800. Saddle coordinates: N35deg20m06.9s, W111deg 40m54.7s.

A view of the saddle signage with a view south:

Our team on the saddle, with Humphreys Peak (right) in background. Left to right Wyo_MtnMan, TalusMonkey, USAKeller's dad (Fred), Tanya and USAKeller.

From the saddle follow the marked Humphreys Peak trail toward the summit. There are three false summits along the way.

A view of Agassiz Peak (12,356) from above the saddle on the Humphreys Peak trail:

USAKeller and her father ascending toward the summit of Humphreys Peak:

We made the summit in 3 hours and 10 minutes (with a lot of photo breaks). The summit coordinates are: N35deg 20m47.0s, W111deg 40m40.0s. The weather was fantastic and we spent 40 minutes or so on the summit enjoying the sun and friendship. It was sunny and warm - perhaps upper 40s or more.

All of us on the summit of Humphreys:

Whipped cream fun on the summit:

For our friends CODave and Kate, who couldn't make it on this trip:

After enjoying the long summit break we all headed back down the trail and returned to the parking area. We said our goodbyes and USAKeller and her dad returned to Phoenix. Wyo_MtnMan, Tanya and I stopped for lunch at Subway and then headed back to Tempe. Once in Tempe, we had a relaxing evening watching movies. USAKeller, her father and I flew back to Denver on Monday.

It was a great weekend among friends. The weather was perfect for a late November summit of Humphreys. We're already making plans to get together again soon in New Mexico or Arizona!

Note: This hike is 9 miles RT with about 3,300 feet of vertical gain. It makes a great late season (by Colorado standards) highpoint trip. Backcountry permits are required in the winter – once the Snow Bowl ski area opens.
Last edited by TalusMonkey on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Humphreys Peak

Postby mtnrnnr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 am

Thanks for the trip report. It sounds like you guys had a great weekend down there. Me and a couple friends are planning on climbing Humphrey's Peak and Charleston Peak in Nevada in early December. Your trip report has me psyched to get down there and explore a new area.

Thanks again.

Postby shanahan96 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:52 am

hey, nice report david. it's about time someone got around to putting a whipped cream summit photo up on this site!

jamie

Re: Humphreys Peak

Postby timm19 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Me and a couple friends are planning on climbing Humphrey's Peak and Charleston Peak in Nevada in early December. Your trip report has me psyched to get down there and explore a new area.

I live in Vegas and climbed Charleston a couple of weeks ago. Let me know if you need any info.

Tim

Postby USAKeller » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:29 pm

Awesome trip report David! That WAS a fun weekend with great people!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby AzScott » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Agreed!

It was good to see the old Colorado 14er crowd again, as I have been down here sweltering in the desert since August! Though there were doubts that a guy at 1100 feet could hack it above 12,600', Tanya and I showed them that we're still okay :lol:

Pictures forthcoming possibly involving the TalusMonkey with a whipped cream beard and USAKeller meeting her arch-nemisis: a log in the trail

Postby TalusMonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:26 pm

mtnrnnr and timm19,

Glad you enjoyed the TR on Humphreys. Thanks for the feedback. I am sure you will enjoy Humphreys when you get to it in December. Hopefully the weather will be mild for you also. It was mid 80s in Tempe all weekend while we were there, so the weather was perfect for us on Humphreys.

Good luck on both Humphreys and Charleson next month! And thanks, Tim, for the offer for info on Charleston!
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby TalusMonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:29 pm

USAKeller,

Yes, it was an awesome weekend to hang out in Tempe with you and your dad while also having a reunion with Wyo_MtnMan and Tanya. Congrats on your team's performance in the tournament. Hiking with you is always fun! We'll have to go back and visit Wyo and Tanya soon. And maybe one day we can get that CODave and Kate to join us!

Postby AzScott » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:31 pm

And maybe one day we can get that CODave and Kate to join us!

Only if Kate wants to go! :lol: I guess we'll all have to go drag CODave away from his townhouse and back into the mountains where he belongs!!!

Postby johnner » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Congrats on climbing The Humph! It's the closest thing we have to a 14er here in AZ. I would like to climb Agassiz some day, but according to the rules, it must be completely covered in snow before they'll let you climb it. Hey, maybe whipped cream would suffice! Those rangers would never know the difference.

ClimbingJWM

Postby ClimbingJWM » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:36 pm

TalusMonkey- this is another great trip report. I've been away recently in the Medicine Bow area (and climbed the peak) for a little, while also visiting some friends in Cheyenne too. It looked like a beautiful day to be climbing in November!

Did USAKeller lure you all with that whipped cream?!!

Postby Timmy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:14 am

TalusMonkey, you scare me and I sort of like it.

Go Devils, kick UofA Wildcat's ars!!!!!
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²

Next