Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall Colors (updated to include any year)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Fall Colors (updated to include any year)

Postby Mark Curtis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm

It has been such a hot summer that it hardly has felt like a good time to even think about fall colors, but this morning there was a slight chill from the front that's coming in......and now that it's into September it won't be long now. So, I would like to confine this thread to only this fall for now. That will give anyone who plans to take shots of that particular area a sense of how the progress is coming visually instead of by subjective wording. So my idea was to do this just like the WILDFLOWER thread and.....at the stage where the color season is essentially over.....we can open this up to any year and repeat the process perennially.

I will bump this thread on occasion to bring it to the top so posters can see it. I realize it could be awhile until we actually see some color relating to fall, but I wanted to get it started. I am so excited about the prospects for this season!
Last edited by Mark Curtis on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: FALL COLORS.....2011 ONLY, PLEASE (for now)

Postby kimo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 pm

But then fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend that you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.
-Stephen King

They say a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't always agree with that. I hope this autumn is a good one for everyone.

Hankins Pass, Lost Creek Wilderness, August 21, 2011.
_KDB7446.jpg
_KDB7446.jpg (158.38 KiB) Viewed 16344 times

Postby somethingrandom » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:00 am

kimo wrote:But then fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend that you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.
-Stephen King
]

Yeah, first response just had to be Kimo putting the rest of us to shame! How can we even post now, haha. Seriously though, Amazing pic Kimo.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby ajkagy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I can't wait to see some of the first signs of color...haven't see anything around CB yet. Bring on Fall and Winter!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 am

ajkagy wrote:I can't wait to see some of the first signs of color...haven't see anything around CB yet. Bring on Fall and Winter!

Wow, I envy you being so close to Kebler! Maybe you wouldn't mind keeping us updated with a few shots from time to time? :D I know the typical peak for that pass (and Ohio) is a little later than a lot of areas in Colorado, but who knows how the trees will react this year.

Postby DurangoJenn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:43 am

I was hiking in Ice Lakes Basin yesterday and the colors are just starting to change a tiny bit on the passes and near Silverton, but I've got one aspen in my yard in town Durango that started turning a couple of weeks ago. Go figure. None of the aspens on the trail into the basin were changing yet. I was surprised how many wildflowers were still hanging on up there, though. Pretty for the beginning of September. I do love fall but it's always hard for me to let go of summer. The fall chill in the mornings has definitely arrived.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Awesome, Jenn.....thanks for the update. Keep us posted and please take pics if you can. 8)

Postby DurangoJenn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 pm

I'll be taking fall color photos for sure, Mark, once there are fall colors to take photos of. For now, all I've got are September wildflowers. :wink:

I forgot, the aspens were starting to change two weeks ago when I drove over Poncha Pass near Salida on my way to Denver. It wasn't anything worth stopping and taking photos of yet, though. But maybe I need to put my camera where my mouth is and stop with the subjective wording. :wink:

Postby Mark Curtis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:55 am

DurangoJenn wrote:
I forgot, the aspens were starting to change two weeks ago when I drove over Poncha Pass near Salida on my way to Denver. It wasn't anything worth stopping and taking photos of yet, though. But maybe I need to put my camera where my mouth is and stop with the subjective wording. :wink:

=D> :wink: Didn't think anyone even read that far. :)

Postby peter303 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

Zilch on Fremont pass and Halfmoon creek area this Labor Day weekend.
Fremont is often my first sighting of the year, sometimes the last few days of August, because the ridges are near the treeline.
I was camping there the coldest night of the summer so far and it just hit freezing. No frost in Leadville yet.

I've seen more color in the cottonwoods along Platte and Highland Canal. But I think the drought is causing that.
Last edited by peter303 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby pw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 am

No pictures yet of course, but this page could be helpful once the leaves start turning -

http://mycolorado.org/fall_drives.html

Postby Muskie5280 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Starting to change at the Shav/Tab trailhead as of 9/4/11.
Attachments
aspen.jpg
aspen.jpg (67.35 KiB) Viewed 14392 times
casey aspen small.jpg
casey aspen small.jpg (220.57 KiB) Viewed 14398 times

Next