Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are there any quick climbs?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Are there any quick climbs?

Postby alligator » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, I live in Minnesota and we don't have a lot of mountains to climb. At least none that I can find around here. I may have the chance to make a quick trip to Colorado this winter with my family, and would love to climb another mountain. I've taken an RMI course and tried Rainier (we did not summit, but had a successful trip to 11,800 feet), so I have some skills and some equipment.

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a summit climb that I can either try solo or with my 11 and 12 year old boys? The trip needs to be a day trip, since I will not have time for a longer climb. If I can get to 14k feet, that would be great.

Re: Are there any quick climbs?

Postby sunny1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Mt Sherman from fourmile creek may meet your objectives:

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=sher1&peak=Mt.+Sherman
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby MtHurd » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Quandary. You may need snowshoes, it all depends on the snow conditions. Very little avalanche danger if any. The trailhead is easily accessible from the highway near Breckenridge.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I second both Quandary and Sherman--they were my first two winter 14ers. If you follow the standard route on Quandary or the alternate snow route on Sherman, you should need only snowshoes, maybe an ice axe for comfort if you cut straight up the last 400' to the top of Sherman like our group did! It'll probably be cold/windy up there, so dress like you would walking around outside on a typical winter's day in Minnesota and you should be fine :)

If you go with Sherman, keep an eye on road conditions--they may or may not be passable. Went in February, we were able to drive to the Leavick site through some very snowy sections of road, but a climbing partner got his vehicle stuck and we spent 90 minutes or so digging him out! Even thus starting out at something like 10 or 11 AM, we had ample time to reach the summit and return before sunset.

Pikes, Yale, and Decalibron are other options you might want to look at--all are relatively easy winter 14er climbs, though Quandary and Sherman are probably easier.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:12 pm

13er Sniktau from Loveland Pass is a popular winter quickie.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby alligator » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 am

Excellent, thanks! These are perfect!

Postby gonzalj » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 am

I would also second sniktau from loveland pass. Probably the easiest (while still very scenic) of all of those and then sherman and quandary after that.

Postby peter303 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 am

Pikes Peak parking at Devils Playground about 3/4ths up the toll road.
Thats about 5 miles and 1600 feet. The first part is easy.
The last half mile is rocky talus.
You have to pay some annoying fee for every person in car on the toll road.

Postby alligator » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:30 pm

I'd like to try one of these with my 11 and 12 year old boys. Would any of these be a problem? We wouldn't be climbing with ropes (since I don't have any). They have both proven themselves with other 5+ hour hikes, so I know they can handle longer distances.