Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photo of the Month?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Photo of the Month?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 am

Our local photography group has this Photo of the Month thing - it's an interesting didactic exercise. You submit your best photo for each month, or one you want critique on. Then some of the top folks in the group spend a few days critiquing all the entries. Then all images with critique are displayed. You get a chance to not only learn with your own image, but from those submitted by others as well.

But one of the biggest difficulties I've found is editing my own images for a submission. (Sound familiar?)

So I thought it might be fun to ask you guys which of the two below I should submit for July. (It might also be fun sometime to set up our own 14ers photo of the month... Just a thought.)

Anyway, I've got it down to these two. Any thoughts on which one has greater impact? Fewer technical/artistic errors? Please feel free to make honest, critical comments. Thanks!

Re: Photo of the Month?

Postby Exiled Michigander » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 am

You always post amazing photos. Of these two, I gotta go with the Bells rather than the belle (although both are beautiful and inspiring!).

Postby gonzalj » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 am

I definitely have to go with the bells as well. I like the fact that it's B&W and also the different perspective with the deadly bells sign (instead of the more common and traditional reflection on maroon lake). Also, I love the fact that the sky is not whited out (like it sometimes happens). Did you use a ND filter on that one?

Postby Jay521 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

Da Bells...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby bif » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

Ok, my friend, you asked for it.........
The girl climbing appears to be hiding something.The soft edging makes me think, just outside of the photo is a "set" and the photo is faked, the girl is not really climbing, but posed. Also what a pretty model, but again the head gear makes me think she may be a in medical picture ad , or just recovering from brain surgery. The copy may read," You can reach higher, sooner after your brain sugery at Colorado Spring General".

The Deadly Bells picture is interesting with the concept of the Deadly Bells sign and the floating orbs of spirits of the dead that have been lost on that mountain. Thats kind of creepy......The Spirits of the Bells.

The Bells is my choice.

Bif

Postby whoopi_cat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

I like the Belle better, but the white "burning" (Is that the proper term?) at the corners also bothers me.

I must say I saw the headgear much more like fashionable headware that I might have seen on a woman at the climbing gym last night than anything to do with surgery....

WC
"It is the only way to get to the universe; bet everything every single step forward."

- Wayne Hale, Jr. Flight Commander, Space Shuttle Columbia.

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

Oh wow. My long post just got eaten by accidental usage of windows shortcuts caused by hitting two keys at once on the laptop somewhere.

cliff notes version: I vote for climber girl.

I'll reconstruct the original post tonight at work if I have time, (graveyards). It's bed time now.

ps..... Is it possible to TURN OFF windows short cuts? It happens often enough to piss me the hell off with Microsoft, but thankfully still (just) short of causing me to go "postal" on Bill Gates. :evil:

edit: well, fast forward about 18 hours and pretty much my take on it has since been voiced.

Obviously anyone reading this thread is a lover of the mountains, so the Maroon Bells will get a biased slant. You did present the Bells with a non-traditional take with the sign and absence of their reflection off the lake. Nice job. I like what you did, but any non-climber people in your photo club may view that pic as: "Hey, look, another picture of that "two peaked" mountain that we see everywhere."

The pic of the climbing girl is great. The edge blurring seems a little over powering as it extends fairly deep toward the center of the picture. It was the first thing I noticed as I viewed the picture as I scrolled down it on the screen. That may not be true if I were to have seen it all at once in a frame as you no doubt would present it to the club so that may not be of much issue.

You are a brave man to open yourself up to the views of the forum members.

Great job on both pics, but as I stated in my "cliff note" above, I vote for the girl.
Last edited by MUni Rider on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby kaiman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 am

MUni Rider wrote:Oh wow. My long post just got eaten by accidental usage of windows shortcuts caused by hitting two keys at once on the laptop somewhere.

cliff notes version: I vote for climber girl.

I'll reconstruct the original post tonight at work if I have time, (graveyards). It's bed time now.

ps..... Is it possible to TURN OFF windows short cuts? It happens often enough to piss me the hell off with Microsoft, but thankfully still (just) short of causing me to go "postal" on Bill Gates. :evil:

Check your touchpad, mice, and keyboard settings under Start > Control Panel or look at the Preferences for the particular program you are using as each application has different shortcuts for different things.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am

I like both pictures quite a bit and don't really favor one over the other.

With that in mind, the deadly bells sign makes me feel uneasy for some reason. The crop on the frame is weird, I wish the stand was showing, the sign was excluded or the top line of the sign was parallel with the bottom part of the frame.

I'm also not a big fan of the burning in you did on the edges of the climber girl.

Actually, I think I prefer the climber girl. I like the lens flare in the Bells photo, but, and I mean absolutely no offense by this, that picture is a bit cliche, every tourist who visits the bells has a picture somewhat similar. There is a bit of an individual touch with the flare, but I think the climber girl captures a unique and unrepeatable point in time far better.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby jomagam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Black and white pictures work best imo if there is a good contrast between the black and white parts of the photo. There is no real black or real white colors in either photos. Is the girl wearing a blue shirt ? I'd say that the sign in the Bells photo is unnecessary especially since only the title is legible.

Postby shredcrazy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm

i like the angle and color on the girl pic, but that white is kinda weird, it gives it a kinda cool affect but it cuts into the picture at weird angles, if you still want that effect maybe try more of a border, like fairly even amounts of white around all edges, no cutting into the pic. The bells is cool, especially the lens flares, but the sign attracts your eyes attention the most, and most of it is unreadable, making it annoying to me, and distracting from the best parts of the photo in a way.
they are both great photos though!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey, thanks you guys. You've seen stuff that's just blown right past me. It's really hard to evaluate one's own work; certainly for me, anyway.

While it's nice to get compliments, it's even better to get specifics as to how an image impacts the viewer. So thanks for responding, and being candid. You guys rock!

Next