Truchas--Best Trailhead?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Truchas--Best Trailhead?

Post by steelfrog »

I've read and heard that going through Truchas village can get your car vandalized.

There's the southern approach and the northern approach. I am inclined to give the northern approach a go, couple nights camping out. Anyone have any experience/suggestions about this? Maybe 2nd weekend of October, got to watch the weather.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Truchas--Best Trailhead?

Post by TravelingMatt »

You mean the 13er in New Mexico, right? I did it a couple years ago, also in early October.

I received permission from the landowner by calling the phone number on the Summitpost page for Truchas. Wasn't really a big deal (but I certainly encourage people to respect the owner's wishes and call ahead.) Give him a few days to call you back. You probably should have a specific range of dates in mind and he will ask what kind of vehicle you will have. No big deal if it'll be a rental, as it was with me, just call back once you know.

The road to the TH is 4wd. The turns are confusing in a couple places, so take/study a map. There's one T-like intersection where it felt like left was the correct way, when it fact right was.

The climb itself is quite pretty, with an extensive scrambling section once you gain the ridge. Didn't see another person all day. Absolutely worth it.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
AcruxHopper
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AcruxHopper »

One of the best trips I've ever taken. Did it from Jack's Creak TH and camped at Pecos Baldy Lake. Beautiful.
Pots and pans, bops and bans
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I've climbed South Truchas Peak 4 times, 3 times from Jack's Creek and once from Iron Gate. Jack's Creek is probably the best route (Trailriders Wall is spectacular), although it is 11 miles. Rio Quemado is the shortest but again, get permission or your car will most likely be vandalized. Middle Truchas Peak is the closest peak from that route although the traverse over to Medio and South Truchas isn't too bad. North Truchas can also be accessed from that trailhead as well. The road was washed out last year, I'm sure it's been fixed but you might call first to find out. The northern route is good for North Truchas, but it's about 11 miles to the summit. From North Truchas, it's another mile and a 3rd class ridge run to get to North Truchas. You can also ascend Chimayosos Peak from the north as the trail ascends the saddle between North Truchas and Chimayosos. It's a worthy climb just for the views of all 4 Truchas peaks.

You'll love these peaks, the best New Mexico has to offer.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks Barry and everyone else. Question, what map is best to use for this area?
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I've got the U.S. Forest Service map (actually have 3 dating back to the 70's) and it works fine. U.S.G.S. topos will work as well. Some maps will show Middle Truchas as "West Truchas". West Truchas would probably be more fitting as Middle Truchas is the furthest west of the group, but the official name is Middle Truchas. "Medio" Truchas is a name coined by Jerry Roach and is an unnamed Point in the center of all 3 of the other Truchas Peaks. Only South Truchas and North Truchas peaks are official 13ers. All 4 of them are worthy climbs. South Truchas was my second peak I ever climbed back in 1977. My first was East Pecos Baldy the day before. The Pecos Wilderness is one of my all time favorite places.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

steelfrog wrote:Thanks Barry and everyone else. Question, what map is best to use for this area?
USFS publishes a very good one of the entire Pecos Wilderness. Kinda large as it covers the entire area, but it is worth getting if you plan to go back there.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
aggiegeog
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aggiegeog »

I have been wanting to do these peaks for a while either from Jack's Creek to my family's cabin off of Highway 518 or an out and back from the cabin. I have heard about too many issues to really consider the northern THs. I am heading up to do Jicarita this weekend.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Jicarita's great, even better if you include Jicarita Peak South, a cool route to which is detailed in Laurence Parent's Falcon guidebook, "Hiking New Mexico." It doesn't matter, though, the route up, as the two peaks are close together.

Any fall color still lurking down in the Land of Enchantment?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
aggiegeog
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aggiegeog »

I am actually thinking about attempting South and North along with the main summit of Jicarita. It is a really nice climb, not too long of an approach and very gently sloped. I should get some spectacular views of the Truchas peaks. I doubt a whole lot of color is left once you get much elevation. I am in TX and will head up Friday. The Truchas peak area is nice in that they are not the typical domes of most high NM peaks and can actually offer some Class 3 and probably 4 scrambles if desired.
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

There is at least one 5th class route on Medio Truchas.
CincyBearcats
14ers: 58 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

My wife and I climbed the Truchas peaks from the Santa Barbara TH. There is a Forest Service campground at the TH, so parking is relatively safe. Here's a trip report I put together a while back. Note that I used a different naming convention for Middle Truchas. Have fun!
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;