Wind in RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KowabungaDude
Trip Reports (0)

Wind in RMNP

Post by KowabungaDude »

Is wind usually a factor on summit hikes? My dad, brother and I (all from Iowa, in good flatland shape) went up Estes Cone this summer. The sky was cloudy, but no precipitation. It was great, the rocks were a blast, but when we got out of the trees near the summit the wind about blew us off the side of the final scramble. Being clad in cotton sweatshirts, basketball shorts, and running flats, we retreated, but we were obviously a little disappointed. I'd browsed this site beforehand and never seen any mention of wind, so we were surprised. Was this an aberration, or am I just clueless?
roguejackalope
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 25 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wind in RMNP

Post by roguejackalope »

Wind is always present above treeline, particularly in exposed areas such as ridge crests.

Definitely not an aberration.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

With due respect and meant in the most helpful way, "clueless". But that's not a bad thing, because you're asking. I've been on Estes myself in some healthy wind - it is / can be a very big safety factor. Search this forum for "Keyhole" and "wind" on Longs Peak, for example, to see some discussion about it.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Wind is highly variable, though obviously much stronger at higher elevation and in exposed locations. Check the weather and if it's a windy day try to pick somewhere less exposed to hike or take your wind coats. Certainly there are many days that have relatively calm wind.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Most of my experiences on summit hikes have involved some light to brisk winds (Handies, Huron, Grays and Torreys, Humboldt). I have had one hike (Shavano) that the wind was absolutely insane, over 60 mph, and was strong enough that I just passed up bagging Tabeguache too. Then I have been on a few that it was eerily calm on the summit (Pikes, Sherman, Lindsey, Elbert). And to top it off, when I did the Decalibron the wind was calm on Democrat and Cameron, it was breezy on Lincoln, probably about 5-10 mph winds and then on Bross it was 40+ mph. But as far as being clueless...don't be so hard on yourself. It is a learning experience on every outing in the mountains, just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

I've had hit and miss experiences with wind in RMNP. When I did Estes Cone it was low level clouds, at about 10,000 feet actually, but no winds. Flattop was very windy but Twin Sisters wasn't at all, nor was Chiquita. I don't think the geography of the park has any special characteristics that would lend to higher winds on average. I haven't done Longs though, and have always noticed fast winds above Glacier Gorge every time I've looked. Likely it's just dependent on the local weather that day.
huffy13 wrote:Most of my experiences on summit hikes have involved some light to brisk winds (Handies, Huron, Grays and Torreys, Humboldt). I have had one hike (Shavano) that the wind was absolutely insane, over 60 mph, and was strong enough that I just passed up bagging Tabeguache too. Then I have been on a few that it was eerily calm on the summit (Pikes, Sherman, Lindsey, Elbert). And to top it off, when I did the Decalibron the wind was calm on Democrat and Cameron, it was breezy on Lincoln, probably about 5-10 mph winds and then on Bross it was 40+ mph..
Every one of my 14er summits, except for Sherman and Decalibron, were perfectly calm. Sherman had insane winds on the ridge, but was calm on the summit...

I'm pretty lucky.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I'd say you'll experience wind above treeline every 4 of 5 outings. Its quite rare for the weather to be dead calm (unless in the early mornings) in RMNP. It doesn't get a lot of mention because it's just something expected above treeline.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Yes. It is often a major issue most of the year.
Mid-summer is calmest in my experience.
It can be worst when there are larger temperature difference between mountains and plains.
Aspen Summit
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aspen Summit »

The wind got so bad going up Cameron onto Lincoln that I had to put on weight really fast: rocks in my backpack.

Knight
--------
Follow Your Path, Cross ALL Boundaries, and RIDE THE EARTH!!! Woooo Hooooooo!
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

I'll take a slightly contrary opinion here. While you can have high winds in summer, it's not usually the norm. We summitted Longs in picture-perfect dead calm weather this summer.
Most of my summer outings have been calm, but then, I usually pick a good weather window in advance.
That's summer.

Longs Peak, July 23, 2011.

Now winter, that's another matter. You ain't seen wind till you've seen 80+ mph gusts and spindrift. Here's Longs, just four months earlier.

Longs Peak, March 2,2011.

That said, the RMNP area in general seems to see more in the way of winds than some other areas. Try to pick a good weather window if you can.
For summer, a light windbreaker can help a great deal. MHW makes one that weighs only 3 oz.
I usually have a hooded gortex top as well, but unless unexpected weather comes in, it's usually overkill.